Failure to boot after restore XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell 4550 and had a hard drive fail 160GB. I replaced with a 320Gb and tried to restore from my latest backup, everything indicated the restore was successful but the during reboot the it failed. It will go through the Dell splash screen and then hangs with the curser in the upper left hand corner. I have checked the boot.ini file and it matches' what is recommended.

Miller_rc

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• Try booting from your XP installation disk and doing a "repair" to see if that fixes the boot files.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I have tried that with no luck.

Thanks for the response.

Miller_rc

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:03 PM
  • have you restored all the hidden partitions that Dell seems to put on its disks? What happens if you try a Safe Boot?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:42 PM
  • I am assuming that WHS restore would do that, if it does not do that then I need directions on how to do that.

Thanks

Miller_RC

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:52 PM
  • It should do as long as you backed them up in the first place. You can see that by examining the backups in the Console/Dashboard. Are you using WHS1 or WHS2011? Booting into Safe Mode?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:14 PM
  • WHS1, I am restoreing from a manual backup. The disk will not boot, I will have to boot from XP CD to get into safe mood.  What should I be looking for in the Console on the WHS when I open the backup. I know that the WHS software will not allow you to open a backup on the server you have do it from a computer on the network not the server.

Miller_RC 

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:40 PM
  • I can't remember what the WHS1 Console looks like (I don't use WHS1) but you should be able to look at a Client backup and see which partitions it has backed up. Also when you try a restore you should see what partitions are available for restore.

Does the boot get far enough to use "F8" to get into Safe Mode?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:03 PM
  • I have tried that with no luck.

Thanks for the response.

Miller_rc

What was the result of this?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:08 PM
  • It does not get to a point that F8 will work. It get past the Dell splash screen and if you have a CD in it will hang after time to hit a key to boot from a CD ends.

Miller_RC 

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:28 AM
  • It sounds as though it is trying to boot from the wrong partition in which case the "Repair" option should have worked but as it didn't, try the following:

Boot into a recovery environment using your DVD and make sure the correct partition is set as Active.

Use the boot menu (F? depending upon your system) to choose where to boot from.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:34 PM
  • In the WHS recovery console the disk manager areas state that the partition is active and healty. I used the boot menu (F12) to boot from the hard drive. Still no luck. Also in the Recovery Console I did Fixboot and the Fixmbr and still go no boot.

Miller_rc 

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Then I am out of ideas - try a new restore?

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:06 PM