Possible workaround for moe.exe hogging CPU RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would like to preface this post by saying that all of the moe.exe hogging processor time threads I've found are fairly old, so I didn't want to bump any of them.

I installed live mesh about two weeks ago as an automatic-ish way of synchronizing files between my tablet, which I carry with my to school, and my tower. Previously I had been running SyncToy, on the two computers, but when I upgraded both over to Windows 7 over winter break I decided to look for a better (read: automatic) solution. When I created the folder pair in mesh the two folders were 99% synced. Initially, all was well. Both folders were synced perfectly after a half hour or so, etc.

However, soon I began to the fan on my tablet coming on a lot more often. I also noticed a significant decrease in battery life. The culprite was moe.exe. After letting it run overnight to no avail, I searched in vain for a solution for about a week before I stumbled across a blog that had a fix (see - http://www.pringle.net.nz/blog/PermaLink,guid,1946b842-7f1a-4f4d-9ad8-362076b9da34.aspx ). Since it took me so long to find, and since I didn't find a solution that worked for me on these forums, I figured that I would post it so that others can find it.

The fix:
    1) backup synced folder (just in case)
    2) remove the computer that's having problems from the mesh
    3) delete the entire contents of the synced folder (I left the empty folder in place)
    4) add the computer back to the mesh and re-establish the folder pair
    5) success!

Oddly, even though my tower and notebook were sitting next to each other while I was doing this, mesh chose to download all of my files from the mesh server as opposed to simply copying them across my network. I thought that mesh was supposed to choose the shortest path?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• That's an interesting solution - basically a full reset. Thanks for sharing it.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:18 PM
  • I have a very similar problem. Except the SYSTEM thread is the one that is running close to 50% all the time when MOE is running. When I stop MOE.exe, the SYSTEM process comes back down to a normal level.

Is there another fix for this? I actually just reformatted my machine and added it to the mesh (pretty much a reset) and this the problem i've been having now.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:09 PM
  • I have a very similar problem. Except the SYSTEM thread is the one that is running close to 50% all the time when MOE is running. When I stop MOE.exe, the SYSTEM process comes back down to a normal level.

Is there another fix for this? I actually just reformatted my machine and added it to the mesh (pretty much a reset) and this the problem i've been having now.

How long has this been going on after you reinstalled everything?
    What OS? What security software?
    System is the OS kernel process.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:18 PM