What is the opimum settings. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All,

So, I'm trying to make a game map.

I am doing the following.

Recording the gameplay into a MP4

converting the MP4 into individual frames.

using ICE to combine the frames, using Structured Panorama I make the box (4 by 4) with the 1 top left, the 2 to the right, drag the rows all the way along to put them end to end.

But I can't find any help files as to what 'Angular Range' does, I've been messing with the Overlap settings, but knowing what each does would help me decide the figures I could use.

My problem is, the frames I'm exporting are very similar and have gameplay on them, not just the scrolling map at the bottom.

Has anybody used this program for the needs I'm wanting, as running though over 1000+ pictures per test is long to find the values I'm putting in are wrong.

Thanks in advanced.

Sunday, February 21, 2016 10:05 PM

All replies

• It isn't clear to me how you're moving the camera in game.
    Hopefully you're just turning in place.

Structured panorama is intended to be used as a way to speed up ICE's solution of how images overlap when you've used a robotic tripod head, such as GigaPan which will take exactly the same number of photos in every row or column of photos, where the photos will have a predictable amount of overlap as the tripod head turns.

You can watch Matt Uttendaele (who recently moved from Microsoft Research to Facebook research in late 2015) explain how ICE's structured panorama functionality was designed to work in the first demo of this video from almost exactly six years ago or alternately this video from when that version of ICE was released.

In any case, there isn't any reason that I can think of why you'd need to use Structured Panorama to put together your screenshots.
    Just use the regular Panorama from Images option and specify a Rotating Camera movement and let ICE figure out each set of screenshots individually.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:15 PM
  • Oh... I just re-read your post.

Are you just trying to stitch together the mini-map from part of the screen?
    Have you already cropped that part out of all of your screenshots?

Assuming that it is a 2D map drawn from above the level, 'Rotating Motion' will not be the correct camera motion - but rather probably one of the Planar options - you might just try letting ICE figure it out on its own, provided you've cropped just the map out of each screenshot.

If the map is always on the same exact portion of every screenshot, you could try dragging them all into an image editor and pasting each image as a new layer in a single image, then using the crop tool to crop the entire stack of screenshots at once, then saving each layer as its own image in a new folder which will contain all of the map screenshots to then feed to ICE.

Either that or record a script in your image editor of cropping the map out of the screenshot so you can batch crop the map out of all the screenshots.

Since I don't know which game you're playing and I don't have any idea if the map is opaque or if it is translucent (allowing you to see the level behind the map through it to some degree), but obviously ICE will have a better chance of success if the map is entirely opaque, so there's no competing unrelated gameplay image data to confuse it.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:24 PM
  • The game I'm trying to do is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaTucGUuGg

I am getting the MP4 into frames, and then trying to join them all together to make one long level. Problem is, there are enemies on the screen.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:22 AM