none
SharePoint 2013 - Error message when trying to check out document RRS feed

• Question

• <v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"><v:formulas>Using SharePoint 2013 and trying to check out a Word (.docx) document. Doc Library settings as follows:</v:formulas></v:stroke></v:shapetype>
    • <v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" filled="f" id="_x0000_t75" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0">Versioning settings: Yes to Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited and Create Major Versions</v:f></v:formulas></v:stroke></v:shapetype>
    • Advanced settings:  Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents set to Use Server default (Open in browser)

To check out a document, clicked on the Title or Filename and with the Open Document pop-up, select Check Out and Edit. Another way is to select with a checkmark and then on the Files Ribbon bar, select Check Out. In both cases, got the error message "This document could not be checked out. You may not have permission to check out the document or it is already checked out or locked for editing by another user."

However, if I click on the document and select Read-Only on the pop-up, I don't see the error message and opens up the Word document and if I need to edit, I select the Edit button on the yellow bar.

Would be nice to know why this is happening and if there's a fix (not the workaround by selecting Read-only). We're using Windows 7,  IE11 and Office 2010.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:11 PM

Answers