email recovery from locked documents directory after reinstall of XP RRS feed

• Question

• My dad's computer (win XP with most recent service packs installed) recently crashed and the only the only thing I could do was re-install windows from the cdrom.  I created a new user profile from him hoping it wouldn't overwrite or delete his old profile, and this appears to have worked.  However after I found that his old user files appear to still exist in the documents and settings directory but when I attempt to view or enter the directory I get a "unable to access directory.  Please check that the drive is not write protected" error message. 

The two users (prior to the crash) were "Richard" and "Matt", and after the crash I set the users as "Richard2" and "Matt2".  For some reason I can get into the old "Matt" documents and settings directory (which never held anything more than a few test emails) when logged in from either Richard2 and Matt2, but cannot access the old Richard documents and setting directory (where there are dozens of emails).  I cannot seem to find any registry entries for it (or any that block it) so I am not sure why windows is blocking my access to it. 

Can you point me to the right support page or list any specific registry keys or files I will need to restore access to this old documents and settings directory?

Matt

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:02 PM

Answers

All replies