Partition type primary or extended RRS feed

• Question

• I redid the system and installed a 500 Gig SATA as a stand alone drive.

Then went to add a 2nd 160 Gig SATA drive and it shows up as unallocated.

So I was going to format it, but when I do that the format routine asks if I want the partition type to be primary or extended.

My guess would be extended, but being as how I know squat about how the drives are allocated I thought I would ask.

I did not find any info when I tried to search for this answer.

Thanks

Bob

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

Normally I chose it as Primary valume.

WHS will format the drive when it will add it to the pool, wipe out any patition info on it, and it will use it own, if it will be as out of the whs controll (not add it to the pool), then Primary will be fine.

My best.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Bob, assuming you have just connected that drive to WHS, and it's showing up in the WHS Console as unallocated, just add it to the storage pool. WHS will take care of partitioning and formatting it. There should be no need for you to partition it.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Normally I chose it as Primary valume.

WHS will format the drive when it will add it to the pool, wipe out any patition info on it, and it will use it own, if it will be as out of the whs controll (not add it to the pool), then Primary will be fine.

My best.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:27 PM
  • O Key Doe Key

Thanks as usual

Bob

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Bob, assuming you have just connected that drive to WHS, and it's showing up in the WHS Console as unallocated, just add it to the storage pool. WHS will take care of partitioning and formatting it. There should be no need for you to partition it.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Ken

It took me awhile but I finally figured out how to add to the pool.

That was interesting though.

From what I saw, if the drive was assigned a drive letter (like it was) it would appear that I could use it as a normal drive on my network and do normal network things with it, lets say use something like Acronis and put my images there.

I also noticed that WHS ids the drive as ATA even though they are SATA. 

I will add a PATA drive when I get some time to mess around some more and see what it does. 

Thanks again and again.

Bob

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:10 PM
  • You are correct that you could use it like a normal drive. However, if it's not in the pool, you have to do everything using the normal Windows Server 2003 interfaces for creating and managing shares, etc., and (because the drive isn't in the pool) you won't be able to manage it through the WHS Console.

It's likely that your SATA drives are identified are ATA because your motherboard is set to Legacy IDE mode. Set that way, WHS can use it's built-in drivers.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Ken

Actually I have no desire to do that, but it just occured to me after messing with it a bit.

Inquiring minds want to know syndrome I guess.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Bob

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:04 AM