locked
ST2010 Working Again RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have been fighting ST2010 for months now, having both the licensing initialization error AND the registry file errors. I have been trying to initiate a support request but because I could not get into the program to get the product id #, could not initiate the request.  I turned on my old laptop with ST2009 on it and used the product ID from it.  Withing an hour or less I got a call from Yasin in India.  He gave me his # to call back as I was in the middle of something and couldn't talk right then.  My call lasted maybe 30-40 minutes. Yasin ran a program remotely and then we checked the program twice to make sure it was working correctly.  Only wish other certain computer companies could have tech support even remotely close to what MS has.  While we waited for my computer to boot up or shut down or load files we had a nice chat about our two countries and our families. Yasin said I should never have worked all the months I did on this problem when he was able to fix it so easily.  The problem is getting through Microsoft's HUGE website. I only recently discovered the site to initiate the the support request and then couldn't use it without entering false information because I could not enter the product id. Thanks again to Yasin in Mumbai, he talked like a real person who was a friend or neighbor, not the robots you usually come across in tech support.
    • Edited by mulley51 Friday, August 12, 2011 2:47 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

  • Glad to hear you resolved your problem.

    By any chance, is there a 'teachable' lesson out of all this; is there something you could put up here that others might try to recreate your solution?

    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:40 PM
  • I'll try to be clearer than I was above.

    I did all the methods(1 to 4 and steps 1-7)to repair the registry or licensing errors so that I could run my program.  I ran as administrator, added a new user account, tried to run from the dvd, everything that has been suggested here. Nothing worked. We really like this program and planned a cross country road trip last year with it.  No other programs work like this one for major plans. The Microsoft website is so huge it's hard to find everything there is available.  I found the support page listed below.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Next clicked on " Solution Center" where you can type in Streets & Trips or whatever program you are having problems with.

    When that page opens there is a square at the top right side "get help now by email, online or phone".

    Next screen pick your program from the different versions.

    After that you pick the problem, I picked "other".

    Next you have to enter the product ID code but if the program will not open at all you can not get the id #. There is a choice to let Microsoft get the id # but that did not work either. Out of desperation I decided to boot up my laptop which has ST2009 on it, running with no problems. The laptop has Win 7 but has not gotten updated. Then I had to back up and change the product to Streets & Trips 2009.  After that the reguest process worked fine and within an hour I got a call from Yasin in India. 

    I THINK the installation was corrupted and that had corrupted the registry. He checked a few settings then ran a program that took several minutes and when I clicked on the ST2010 icon it popped up and asked if I wanted to activate the program. 

    I had even uninstalled SP1 for Win 7 and it made no difference so I put it back and ran all updates available before doing the service request. More updates ran last night and its still working fine.  Just wish it wasn't so hard to figure out WHERE to get the help.

    Hope this helps.

     



    Friday, August 12, 2011 2:36 AM
  • One thing I'm doing is writing down the product id #'s for all my microsoft programs like office, outlook, etc. To get them you open the program, click on help, then "about" and the version and product id # is there. Don't want to go through this again.
    mulley51
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Thanks for that, Mulley, I hope it helps others. 

     

    FWIW, I am running Win7 with about 40 MSFT updates on it and have never had a problem with S&T or Autoroute, so I would be reluctant to blame MSFT alone.

    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Thanks Phillip. I went from Vista to Win 7 in January with no problems, Then later in the spring had a problem where I could not click on any links in emails or on a web page.  All I got was a blank page. Everything else working fine though.  Had a LONG session with MSFT and they could not fix the problem so I decided to reload windows.  All files are kept on seperate partitions or drives so thats not a problem.  Then since June everything has worked OK. My Win 7 disk does not have SP1 so it takes a while for all updates to come up.  One day about a month or so ago ST2011 would not open. Uninstalled, reinstalled, tried all the fixes listed here, even uninstalling SP1 and then reinstalled the sp before finally getting the support request. No way to really know what caused it, probable a combination of things, just glad it's working now.


    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:42 PM