none
WHS - A disk read error has occurred RRS feed

• Question

• I woke up this morning to a black screen and A disk read error has occurred Press CRTL + ALT + DEL

What is the best way to repair this?  I can still see the drive in the bios (although it's probably a sign that I need to replace the drive which I will).
    I do get the option of a server reinstallation when I go thru setup ( I haven't done the reinstall yet).

Can I boot with an XP CD and do the Fixmbr to fix without doing a server reinstallation?

I have 5 HD's totaling 3+ TB or space with over 1 TB full.  Some is critical data that I really , really don't want to loose.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Upto now this system has worked great.  Yikes!!!!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you can try to boot from a Vista DVD and from within its system repair tools open a command prompt.

Try to run chkdsk c: /r from within that prompt.
    If that doesnt help, you still can try to rewrite the MBR.

The only supported method of repair is a server reinstall (boot from DVD and select server reinstallation, not a new installation). This would wipe only the system partition.
    If you change the entire system drive, a server reinstall should still be offered as an option, given the needed SATA drivers are loaded.

Also check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

And in the future do not forget to perform backups of shared folders to external disks from time to time to avoid data loss due to a catastrophic disaster happening to your server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Hi,
    you can try to boot from a Vista DVD and from within its system repair tools open a command prompt.

Try to run chkdsk c: /r from within that prompt.
    If that doesnt help, you still can try to rewrite the MBR.

The only supported method of repair is a server reinstall (boot from DVD and select server reinstallation, not a new installation). This would wipe only the system partition.
    If you change the entire system drive, a server reinstall should still be offered as an option, given the needed SATA drivers are loaded.

Also check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

And in the future do not forget to perform backups of shared folders to external disks from time to time to avoid data loss due to a catastrophic disaster happening to your server.

Olaf

Hi Olaf, thanks for the reply.  You state, I can TRY to boot from Vista CD.  Will this cause any harm to my volumes?  Is using a Vista DVD prefered over an XP CD?  I have both.
    Would you do a server reinstall if it were you in my spot?
    I have 90% of my files on an off site hard drive but any recent files would be lost.  My WHS is my main back up of all the other PC's in my house.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Hi,
    the chkdsk from Vista is more robust than this from Windows XP/Server 2003, thats why I recommend this.

I would try, if booting from WHS DVD detects all drives and a server reinstall is offered, if not, follow the method described in the FAQ.
    If yes, be aware you may need to provide the SATA drivers again on a floppy drive during the early second stage of setup.

Olaf
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Olaf,   sorry it's been a while since I've been here.  My basement flooded and that took Priority.

If I run Chkdsk on the hard drive will it distroy my chances on a server reinstallation  if it fails?

and... what are the chances of a server deleting my files on the drive pool?

Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:34 AM
  • Chkdsk has always the potential to affect files during recovery operations in a bad way (i.e. renaming them during recovery), if the logical structure on the drive is seriously damaged.

If a server reinstall is not offered or does not work, you can still refer to above mentioned FAQ and recover the files manually.

Olaf
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:12 PM