Confused about server names and Remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I am now confused about the WHS Server names I have assigned to my system and how they are to be used in the remote access environment

My Server has  a name which I assigned and I use for remote access when in the home environment when all my PC are connected to the same router. During the set up process for Remote Access the server was assigned a different name as part of the Domain name set up.

If I look at the Remote access page under settings the Domain is shown as Working, however I cannot find anyting that explains what the WEB Site setting are used for on this same Remote access page.

When I am away from my main home and connected to the interrnet I cannot get access to my WHS via Remote access or via a Browser using the domain name assigned, what am I doing wrong?

Which name is the correct one to use whilst using remote access away from your home?

Can you do a back up whilst remote? can you rebuild the system if it failed whilst remote form your home?

Apologise for the multiple questions on this thread.

John

Thursday, November 8, 2007 8:12 AM

All replies

• The server name is used when you're on your home network. The domain name is used when you're offsite. (It's possible to use the server name as part of your domain name with some restrictions, but that's not required.)

The web site settings let you change the title of certain pages of the site, and the first page you see when you access the site.

Regarding your inability to connect with your Remote Access site, can you do so from inside your house, using e.g. the URL http://server/? That should display your remote access welcome page. If you can access it internally, have you configured port forwarding on your router? WHS may be able to automatically configure UPnP routers, if they support the appropriate functionality. (not all UPnP routers do.).

And finally, if you've configured everything, it's possible that your ISP has blocked certain ports. You may be able to test that by using a web site such as ShieldsUp!. We will need more information on exactly what you ahve and have not done, if the simple hints above don't get you up and running.

Regarding backups and restores, there are ways to do a backup over the Internet, though it's not a supported use case, and it's going to be very slow. A restore must be done locally, though, not from a remote site.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:54 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The server name is used when you're on your home network. The domain name is used when you're offsite.

Be aware the server name is tied into the security certificate homeserver.com gives out and you see both detailed in it.  So I have kings-sleep.me.uk with Kermit in it and the certificate handles this fine.

Andrew

Before you ask - No my WHS box is named after a communications program I wrote a server for many moons ago (even though the kids thinks its a little green frog but they are wrong ) and the domain is named after the house.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for this interesting response, particularly the link to Shieldsup

Yes I can access the WHS whilst at home using the server name via a browser, this works via the http;// or the https:// name.

My Router is a Belkin and it woudl not work using the UPnp, so I had to manually set up the port forwarding....however... none of the three ports seem to be working when I test the ports using Shieldsup !!!
    I assume from this that either my ISP is blocking all these ports or I have a router problem.

THanks again I will call my ISP.

John
    Friday, November 9, 2007 7:43 AM
  • If you also have a separate DSL modem you may need to forward ports there to. Check out this topic:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1707279&SiteID=50

Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:55 AM
  • No seperate Modem, I have a new router now to overcome some of the port forwarding issues hopefully ........ I am having some issues in setting up the port forwarding on the new router but as soon as I get that sorted I will post back here any progress.

Thanks

John
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:31 AM
  • New router up and running I can now get remote access using WHS via the browser, but still cannot connect using the Remote Desktop connection, I belive I am using the wrong name of the server, what should I be using?

Thanks
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:19 AM
  • Just the name of the server (default is server). If that doesn't work you can also use the IP address of the server. You also have to make sure remote access is enabled on the server, and make sure there is no firewall blocking remote access.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:07 PM