Problems with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone
    For the past 15 months or so i have been using WHS without any problems, however, that changed this week when i noticed that none of my computers have backed up for about a week. The message that i get down in the right hand corner is "Backup Service is not running on Server SERVERNAME". The other problem i am having is that when i launch the connector software, enter my password it sometimes wont connect to the server, also when i click on the settings button it only opens an outline of the window, then the whole console window goes grey then it disconnects from the server.  Here are the remedies that i have tried sofar
    Uninstalled Connector software, then reinstalled from server
    Uninstalled connector software that was installed from server then reinstalled from original CD
    Checked if backup service is running in services. msc it is and set to automatic
    Restarted server several times, checked for updates
    I did notice that my system is now up to Power Pack 2. Could it be that update that is causing my problem?
    Would i be better off just reinstalling the software and update to Power Pack 1 just?
    Thank you for your help in advance.

James WHS User
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:44 AM

Answers

• You should try repairing the backup database first. This function is available in the Windows Home Server console, Settings window, Backup selection. Given that you're reporting a problem with the console as well, you may want to try running the console in a Remote Desktop session, rather than by right clicking the tray icon and selecting "Windows Home Server Console" from the context menu.

If that doesn't do it, you can try uninstalling, then reinstalling, Power Pack 2. That will require you to log in to your server using Remote Desktop as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Hi Ken
    Thank you for your reply. I have tried all of your suggestions but unfortunately they did not rectify the problem. If you or anyone else has any other ideas i would be grateful if you would share them with me. Up until now i have been using Windows Home Server without fault for nearly 15 months. I might just have to bite the bullet and reinstall the software.
    Once again thank you for your reply

James
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Hi everyone.
    Just to let you know that i fixed the problem that i have been having with the backup and connector software. I found an update that i could remove using Add/Remove programs, it was the only one i could remove. i then reinstalled PP2 as ken advised and then stopped and restarted the backup service. All seems to be okay for now. Once again thank you to ken for your advice.
    James
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:17 AM

All replies

• You should try repairing the backup database first. This function is available in the Windows Home Server console, Settings window, Backup selection. Given that you're reporting a problem with the console as well, you may want to try running the console in a Remote Desktop session, rather than by right clicking the tray icon and selecting "Windows Home Server Console" from the context menu.

If that doesn't do it, you can try uninstalling, then reinstalling, Power Pack 2. That will require you to log in to your server using Remote Desktop as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Hi Ken
    Thank you for your reply. I have tried all of your suggestions but unfortunately they did not rectify the problem. If you or anyone else has any other ideas i would be grateful if you would share them with me. Up until now i have been using Windows Home Server without fault for nearly 15 months. I might just have to bite the bullet and reinstall the software.
    Once again thank you for your reply

James
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Hi everyone.
    Just to let you know that i fixed the problem that i have been having with the backup and connector software. I found an update that i could remove using Add/Remove programs, it was the only one i could remove. i then reinstalled PP2 as ken advised and then stopped and restarted the backup service. All seems to be okay for now. Once again thank you to ken for your advice.
    James
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:17 AM