Media Count Doubled After Replacing RAID RRS feed

• General discussion

• Been poking around for a few months and decided to throw this out just in case someone has any insight. I lost my RAID in December. No big deal, I replaced the drives and restored my backups. Done.

I had about 11K photos, 20K songs and 300 Videos. However, AFTER replacing my RAID, my totals are now 22K Photoes, 26K songs and 600 videos. Which leads me to believe that somehow my "old" Raids totals are still in the database. I have stopped and started MEDIA Sharing multiple times and have even done the WMP database rename thing where it rebuilds it. Still though, the counts are off.

Not sure what else I can even try at this point.

Hoping someone has some ideas.

Thanks...

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:23 PM

All replies

• There are 2 WMP databases: one at C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player and one at C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player.

Did you delete or rename both?

Luc.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Luc,

No I didn't. I did see it though when I did a search. Only the one the note said.

Do you think I should try it again and rename both?

Thanks for the reply....

PS: The other reason why I think this is happening is that the images of the LAST song/pic/video etc in the Media panel ALWAYS reverts back to the images I had when the RAID went down. I select others but then when I go back in, BAM, there are the old images from before. Very strange....
    • Edited by rdmsys Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:48 PM
  • I would now try renaming the other One.

Luc.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Ok, but should I do both at the same time?

Or does it not matter?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Do both just to be sure. These databases are not critical and will be rebuild automatically.

Luc.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Ok well before you replied I did the second by itself. Well I can understand now. It did not rebuild and I get the error in the media panel now.

So it seems to be going there BUT it didn't rebuild so? I wonder if copying the other one would do anything?

Or is there somewhere to tell it which location to use?

LOL, I'm at a loss now.

EDIT: Scratch that, no more error but still doubled up...
    • Edited by rdmsys Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

For deleting WMP Database, the steps you have already performed should be correct. Detailed steps are provided in this thread too:

Deleting WMP Database

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/48688cf4-4f2b-43d1-9608-bd0640fefc92/deleting-wmp-database?forum=w7itpromedia

Meanwhile Microsoft provides a specific forum for Windows Server Media related question. You could post your question there for further information:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winservermedia

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Thanks Shaon, I will review these.

At this point, I guess it will just have to be as is. Only thing I think would fix it would be a reinstall but that's crazy IMHO for this particular issue.

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Shaon (and whomever else this may help).

It seems that the answer to this WAS mentioned in the one topic you recommned I peruse.

I noticed that they mentioned the CACHE directory. Lo and behold there was one in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player with over 1800 entries.

When I deleted THOSE and did the steps to rebuild, BAM, counts are now again correct!!!

Thanks again for your replies which lead me to the correct path.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Scracth that. Although it stuck for a few hours, it seems to have reverted back to the double counts.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:39 PM