Sandy Weil - I need an answer from management re:cost discrepancies. RRS feed

• Question

•  

In short, I would like to know why there is a discrepancy in the prices charged to various countries. I purchased your kit immediately after validating and it was not until I read some feedback, that I saw the price as $149. There was no currency listed.  In Canada, the price charged converts to about $180 US, in Britain they are paying about $172 US and in Jamaica, only $152 US. People are being overcharged by your company.

I have made several attempts to get an anwer through this site under the thread "Cost and a Question", as well as 2 emails and a phone call to the 1-866 number. Rather than repeat everything here, would you please read those postings and reply

I would also like to know why this program is not being done globally, but rather to just a few countries. That is not fair and equal treatment.

I am also astonished at the lack of customer service in regards to non-technical issues. The employees answering concerns would never make it in the real world of retail. They are not customer focused in any sense of the word.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 6:56 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your feedback. This idea will be taken into consideration in making future business decisions around WGA. Customer feedback is always important to us here at MIcrosoft and is taken very seriously....

thanks

dave

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:50 PM

All replies

• Scooper:

Thanks for your feedback. While we appreciate the feedback and input of all users, please do not duplicate your postings in extra topic posts. It will detract from the main content and may confuse other users wishing to seek information.

Please notice that there are numerous things taken into accout when charging funds internationally. This includes (but not limited to) - taxes, currency exchange, shipping and handling charges, etc.

This program is being released very widely. Please check international news programs as to the release locations.

-Phil Liu

Program Manager, Windows Genuine Advantage

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 7:07 PM
  • Thanks Phil, but if you read the comments, you would see that it was suggested that I do this in order to get an answer from Sandy Weil who's name was listed as the WGA Program Manager.  You would also have read that your pricing policy does NOT include taxes and the exchange rate. The prices I quotes included the exchange and that is why there are people being overcharged. Also being released "widely" is not globally, is it?
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 8:57 PM
  • Phil and I are both Program Managers in the Genuine Advantage Team and we both try to answer questions as they come in. By answering questions in the forums we can understand what issues users run into and then apply this knowledge when we rev our product (ie we want to decrease the problems in the future)

Local prices for the Genuine Advantage kits are set by the Central Microsoft Business group. I know that exchange rates can cause missmatches in pricing and I have mentioned this to the Business group.

Sandy

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:02 PM
  •  

Thank you both for your quick reply. I apologize to Phil, I was not aware that he was a WGA Manager.

If you feel that the exchange rate would cause the difference in prices, then you might want to point out to the Central Microsoft Business Group, that your pricing for Canadians at $199 versus $149 US, would be based on the exchange rate from July, 2004! The Canadian dollar was valued at .9013 US on the day I purchased the kit.

I think that your system needs a little updating more often! It seems rather ODD that one of the largest companies in the world can't keep track of the exchange rates better than that. A bit fishy, don't you think?

Thanks anyways!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:50 PM
  • Pooperscooper,

It would seem that we are all being held prisoner by the Bean Counters!

"Central Microsoft Business group" sounds like Microsoft's Politbureau.

But I'm a stockholder so I got no room to talk!!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 10:05 PM
  •  pooperscooper wrote:

Thank you both for your quick reply. I apologize to Phil, I was not aware that he was a WGA Manager.

No problem! I understand the frustration many users are having. Part of the reason for this forum is for internal team members to reach out to individual users that many times only the Support team has a hand with. Our Support team does monitor the forum to make sure we're approaching things right. I use this forum as much as possible to make the WGA program the best possible.

pooperscooper wrote:

If you feel that the exchange rate would cause the difference in prices, then you might want to point out to the Central Microsoft Business Group, that your pricing for Canadians at $199 versus $149 US, would be based on the exchange rate from July, 2004! The Canadian dollar was valued at .9013 US on the day I purchased the kit.

I think that your system needs a little updating more often! It seems rather ODD that one of the largest companies in the world can't keep track of the exchange rates better than that. A bit fishy, don't you think?

I've brought this up with Sandy and our Business Group leads.

Thank you for your continued feedback,

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:55 AM
  • Thank you for your feedback. This idea will be taken into consideration in making future business decisions around WGA. Customer feedback is always important to us here at MIcrosoft and is taken very seriously....

thanks

dave

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:50 PM