Repair Hard Drive Wizard 'Hang' RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am seeing the status of several of my hard drives go to 'Unhealthy'.  I kick off the 'Repair' process and the wizard starts.  After an extended period (12+ hours) the wizard has made essentially no progress (sitting at about 10% complete since about 10 minutes after start). 

I see the same symptoms when the repair is run from a remote console session, or if I RDP into the WHS and run the console there.

If I kill the WHS console process and reboot, the drive will return to the healthy state.

Any thoughts?

BTW, this is on the RTM version with all of the latest Windows Update patches.

Thanks.

-Brian

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:54 AM

All replies

• Sounds like the reboot just clears the problem temporarily but some issues are being reported either by SMART or one of the WHS processes. Is there anything in the Event Log, especially for the system CHKDSK, that give any clues? Are the drives that are reporting issues the same make, or on the same channel on the mobo? How long has the system been running?
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:56 PM
  • I have 2 internal SATA drives, 3 identical 500 GB USB drives and 2 more identical 750  GB drives.  It is usually one of the internal drives that reports the unhealthy state.

Here are some warnings in the System log:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1 during a paging operation.

Now trying to repair the disk, I get the following error message:

Unexpected Repair Failure

The hard drive was not repaired because an unexpected error occured.  Please try again.  If the problem persists contact Product Support.

(Nothing in the Event Log)

Rebooting makes the status go back to healthy.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:36 AM
  • What motherboard/chipset do you have? How are your drives connected (IDE or SATA, MB connectors or add-in card)? If SATA, what mode is your SATA controller set to?
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:42 PM
  • I'm seeing similar behaviour here with an HP MediaSmart Server EX470 with two extra hard disks added (internally), both Seagate, one 500GB (the one that was apparently unhealthy on this occasion, and has been once or twice before) and one 750GB (which has also come up as unhealthy at least once).

Up to now the repair has usually worked but this time it hung at 10% for ages as you describe. I've now rebooted the server and while it took me a very long time to get into the Server Storage tab in the Console (I clicked it and the main display area in the Console just went white and the egg-timer came up for several minutes), all three drives are now showing as Healthy.

As with you, I have all the latest patches and obviously it's RTM as it's the pre-built HP product. Of course I can't answer detailed technical questions about how it's wired together inside but presumably Microsoft would know how one of the flagship OEM products has been put together!

I have to say that after suffering from this, as well as these two (resolved, for now):

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=2674135&siteid=50&mode=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=2493359&siteid=50&pageid=1

I'm wondering whether this server was actually a good purchase Sad

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:26 PM