site being crawled, linked to, but not indexed RRS feed

• Question

• yes, another one of these....

I find this very embarssing but,

My site, www.hairstylesdesign.com, is being crawled by the msnbot but is not being indexed. not even by typing the full URL do I get any results, yet Live Search is finding very good quality links pointing to our site. The site also ranks in other search engines. Very well in fact.

Any advice on what the solution may be?
    thanks.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:44 PM

Answers

•  RamyD wrote:
    - would lead me to beleive that for some reason you are blocking our site - but this is really a question i was hoping you could tell me, is my site on your baned list?

In the webmaster tools,  it should tell you if you are banned and there is a link to submit a request for reinclusion.  If you have been banned you need to look deeper into why you might have gotten banned.  Remember the rules I talk about a lot on here.  

1, Create great content. 

2. Get quality links ( the converse of this is also true, don't participate in link farms, and avoid looking like a link farm)

3. Make the site easy to crawl.

I can't say your site specifically is bad in these areas, but if you are banned you will want look at these issue more closely.

Let me know what the tool says and I will discuss reinclusion further.

Jeremiah
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:17 AM

All replies

• So if you haven't already you need to log into the Webmaster Tools and review the data there.   Looking at your site, I think you should review our indexing guidelines.  While MSNBot crawls billions of web pages, not every page is indexed. For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation.  So one of the best ways to ensure that MSNBot finds your website is to include valuable content that other site owners want to link to.

The guidelines offer that the following techniques aren't appropriate uses of the Live Search index. Use of these techniques may affect how your site is ranked within Live Search, and may cause your site to be removed from the index.

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Becareful to avoid these techniques.   I am not suggesting that you are doing these things, but these are the kinds of things that would cause problems.

Thanks

Jeremiah

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Yup, I'm in the new webmaster tools for live, it's how i found this forum here.

hmm, I find the guideline about the Alt tags interesting. Because the site is a pictures site, it has lot's of alt tags with little comments inside relating the picture to the category it is in. This is just basic seo practice - back to basics.

we do not use hidden links and we do not put our links in link farms.

I will look at link sources through live and take a look at keyword density.see if anything Live search might consider inflated.

maybe if there was a way to see what the msnbot see's. Then maybe I can point out this flaw that only live search is picking up.

thanks though.

EDIT:
    new informtion i put up about my problem here as well: http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2574178&SiteID=79#2577266
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:46 PM
  • What information is the webmaster tools sharing about your site?  

When was it last crawled?

Are any pages indexed?

Are you blocked?  etc.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:38 PM
  • What can the tools tell me? my site is not indexed by msn, it is invisible to you
    website status => No data is available.
    top 5 pages => No data is available.
    keywords => No data is available. (on any search term)
    top links from => No data is available.

top links to => there are 10 webpages here with 5 green bars next to each one.all in english, all in us.

no site map
    no robots.txt

NO pages are indexed,
    common sense says that, looking at the ammount of links that are on the internet, looking at what the webmaster tools tells me are links and then doing a link search on live and STILL not have the site, not even 1 page, indexed - would lead me to beleive that for some reason you are blocking our site - but this is really a question i was hoping you could tell me, is my site on your baned list?

thanks so much for your time Andrick, we have been trying to figure this out for a while over here.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:40 PM
  •  

Send a letter to Steve Ballmer, maybe he can help?  I doubt he's aware of the problem.

Google 400+

Yahoo 200+

MSN 1

That's our stats as of today.   When MSN last crawled the site there were hundreds of pages, a sitemap, html sitemap, and the site is fully compliant with MS standards internally and externally.

IMicrosoft is usually great at copying others technology.  Here they seem to want to reinvent the wheel while Google clobbers them in the SE and ad marketplace.   Google's technique wasn't broken, it's the reason everyone stopped using webcrawler, yahoo and msn in the first place.

I think it has 100% to do with signing up for the msn site tools. 

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:36 PM
  • You are overlooking what the search industry is about. Good search results depend on good communication with the webmasters at large. This is kind of negative speculation seriously belongs in the trash.

It's time maybe you stopped thinking that the big corporation is trying to sucker you in or something. Get a reality check, there are people working behind these things and having these forums is a tremendous step up from having to wait on MSNguy's response over at WebmasterWorld.

My site still isn't indexed meaning this clearly has nothing to do with signing up for the msn site tools. webmaster tools is simply a new standard search engines have to adopt and having tools like sitemaps uploader and robots validator is most certainly a step in the right direction.

so how about some of that professional attitude we all enjoy so much?
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:18 PM
  •  RamyD wrote:
    - would lead me to beleive that for some reason you are blocking our site - but this is really a question i was hoping you could tell me, is my site on your baned list?

In the webmaster tools,  it should tell you if you are banned and there is a link to submit a request for reinclusion.  If you have been banned you need to look deeper into why you might have gotten banned.  Remember the rules I talk about a lot on here.  

1, Create great content. 

2. Get quality links ( the converse of this is also true, don't participate in link farms, and avoid looking like a link farm)

3. Make the site easy to crawl.

I can't say your site specifically is bad in these areas, but if you are banned you will want look at these issue more closely.

Let me know what the tool says and I will discuss reinclusion further.

Jeremiah
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:17 AM