Power Pack 2 released today... why was there so little info about it till now??? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I see that Power Pack 2 has been released today,

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2009/03/23/windows-home-server-announcing-power-pack-2.aspx

I know that there was a post on this before and Microsoft pulled the Power Pack 2 information about this.

From my perspective I will not touch this for a month or so until I hear feedback about it. 

In the past there was enough buzz and discussion about changes like this that I had a feel for how it would affect my system.

I must admit that of all the SP and Powerpacks that I have seen microsoft release over the years this one has the least amount of public information pre-release.

I am especially leary of what it is going to do with my Media Center PC's (which I have partially replaced with MythTV Boxes due to restricted program issues)

From the Release Notes:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f219dd13-3d9a-4506-8be2-fbcc4e195415&displaylang=en

Network connectivity issues may cause TV recordings that are stored on your home server to disappear from the recorded TV gallery in Windows Media Center. When network connectivity returns, the TV recordings may not reappear until the computer running Windows Media Center restarts.

Media files on your home server that are locked by an external program or process (for example, a transcoder) may not appear in Windows Media Center galleries until the files are released.

So who has been beta testing this and have you had any issues running this with MCE 2005 or Windows 7 media centers?

Any other things to be aware of?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:17 AM

All replies

• The notes mean exactly what they say, and they're applicable to other network storage as well as Windows Home Server. Media Center will drop (temporarily) files that are unreadable for any extended period of time.

As for the amount of discussion, Microsoft chose not to have a public beta for Power Pack 2. They consider it a minor update, and it didn't include a patch for a major issue, like PP1 did, so I assume they felt there was no need. There was a testing period, and there were a fair number of testers, both internal and external. Many bugs were filed, and fixed, during the beta. However, we were all under NDA. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Has anyone actually managed to acquire Power Pack 2? I went to Windows Update today and didn't find it yet! About 8:15 am Pacific.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:18 PM
  • browndepot said:

Has anyone actually managed to acquire Power Pack 2? I went to Windows Update today and didn't find it yet! About 8:15 am Pacific.

Updates will not be available until after 10:00am Redmond time and there are other updates in the queue so depending on where PP2 is, it may not be available at exactly 10:00am (Redmond time).

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Paul Thurrott's posting re. PP2 said that it would not be available via http://microsoft.com/downloads but would only come down via WinUpdate.

PP1 was made available that way. Indeed, it's being reported as the 689th most popular download as of a few minutes ago.

If PP2 won't be available at the downloads site, why the change? My preference for "big changes" like SPs is to retain a copy of the as-installed download. Can't say why that's my preference--maybe I'm paranoid based on some apps for which these kinds of support files have been made to disappear over time.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:29 PM
  • I am now downloading it via WU here at 12:38PM CST.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Dick Watson said:

If PP2 won't be available at the downloads site, why the change? My preference for "big changes" like SPs is to retain a copy of the as-installed download. Can't say why that's my preference--maybe I'm paranoid based on some apps for which these kinds of support files have been made to disappear over time.

Technically, installing items via RDP isn't supported and using the RDP method caused an increase in support calls.

Thanks.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Thanks for the concise answer, Lara. I'm not entirely sure I agree with the rationale--because it leads, inexorably, to "allowing the product to actually do useful things causes support calls, so let's take every useful feature out"--but at least I understand the rationale. Thanks again.

Please don't disable RDP because it leads to support calls...
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:04 AM