Question about hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I picked up 2 working 1GHz PIII's with 1GB RAM, 80 GB HDD's etc for $15 total yesterday. My plan is to use one of them for my WHS.

I'll be replacing the HDD's with 2 X 320GB internal drives and 2 X 320Gb external drives connected via USB. IMO My current WHS set up is to much PC for what I use it for (storage, backups and music)

I know the CPU is right at the minimum requirement, and am just wondering if what i have planned is going to be sufficient.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• Mike

I suppose the simplest answer is depends on what you have got planned :-) If you are not planning on doing anyhing with your WHS box that is processor intensive then you should be ok with that for now.

Andrew

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:11 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Mike

I suppose the simplest answer is depends on what you have got planned :-) If you are not planning on doing anyhing with your WHS box that is processor intensive then you should be ok with that for now.

Andrew

Sorry, I guess i could have made it clearer. All i currently use WHS for is backup. storage and playing music over one networked PC. I dont see that changing. I work from home so dont use remote desktop much, dont use the web access as I dont need to, dont have any plug ins installed. So essentially all I"m using WHS for is nightly backups, store data and stream music to one PC.

what I'm planning to use for my WHS is 1GHz PIII, 1GB RAM, 1280GB total HDD space. Wired GB ethernet.

what i curently have WHS on is hardware I had purchased to build an HTPC, 3.0GHz P4, 2GB RAM, 1280Gb total HDD space.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 7:17 PM