Allowing Default Values OR typed values in a SSRS Report Parameter RRS feed

• Question

• I'm able to set a parameter while designing a SSRS report to use a list of values or I can chose to specify no values.  In the latter scenario when actually running the report the value can be typed instead of selected.

What seems impossible is to allow (while running) the user to type a value but also having the option of using default values.   It seems if the options for default or available values are entered with information while designing the report, the ability to type values into the report while running it is taken away.
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:56 PM

All replies

• SSRS isn't a data entry tool, so I don't think you're going to get what you want from there. However, if this is pulling form CRM, you can do it there. Make sure you have two fields, your dropdown list, and a text entry box. Then set a rule in your SSRS report to use the dropdown as your default value for a column, and if that value is blank, use the free text column.

It should be as easy as:

if isnull(field1) 
    then
    (field2)

That will pull all the data you need from CRM and your users can enter it there, where it can be retained for later reporting as well.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Friday, January 30, 2015 3:39 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 3:39 PM