ocs setup - please can someone help me with this? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Ive been searching all day and yesterday night up to 1am for a solution to this : -

The server configuration validation mechanism detected some serious problems.

4 errors and 0 warnings were detected.

ERRORS:

Two server roles at FQDN have different 'Treat As Authenticated' options. First server has GUID {93CDAB08-7C0A-434E-B306-A0014B097D29} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (option is set). Second server has GUID {89038359-1706-447C-93B4-EE830CD07876} and role 'A/V Authentication Service' (option is not set).

Two server roles at FQDN  have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {93CDAB08-7C0A-434E-B306-A0014B097D29} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (version 3). Second server has GUID {89038359-1706-447C-93B4-EE830CD07876} and role 'A/V Authentication Service' (version 0).

Two server roles at FQDN have different 'Treat As Authenticated' options. First server has GUID {93CDAB08-7C0A-434E-B306-A0014B097D29} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (option is set). Second server has GUID {1215BF7E-9082-56E7-B047-CEB6E6BF4F48} and role 'Edge Server' (option is not set).

Two server roles at FQDN have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {93CDAB08-7C0A-434E-B306-A0014B097D29} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (version 3). Second server has GUID {1215BF7E-9082-56E7-B047-CEB6E6BF4F48} and role 'Edge Server' (version 0).

WARNINGS:

No warnings

Cause: The configuration is invalid and the server might not behave as expected.

Resolution:

Review and correct the errors listed above, then restart the service. You also wish to review any warnings present.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Can someone please point me the right direction for sorting out this problem?

Cheers

Glenn

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:48 PM

Answers

• Dudes,

Sorry for late reply. Heres where Im at.

When I posted this thread, I was trying to get an external connection to a trail setup of OCS 2007. Previously we had been using OCS for demonstrations and trails but we were having to log in via a VPN to connect up from outside of the office.

Obviously, this wasnt the answer. We set up some hosting (not connected to out main network). I tried to install OCS onto one server but slowly, after posting here and doing some research, it clicked that I needed an edge server.

Simply, you cannot (correct me Jeff if im wrong) set up an external connection to OCS without an edge server. So two servers are the minimum with the main server set up as a DIRECTOR.

I did have two instances within the MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting  but that was because I was checking a box within Office Communicator Setting with something to do with edge server. If anyone needs more info on which box it was let me know. I will need to get in the office to find out becuase I cant remember.

Before discovering this I had tried deleting MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting completely! , I then realised Id buggered eveything up and ended up deleteing everything MSFT SIP / OCS related from root/cimv2 and completely rolling back the install.

Note: I could get OCS to work externally on one server but I had to start services with one certificate, then assign my external certificate without restarting the services. If the server shut down or restarted this would need to be done every time.

So, hopefully Ive explained myself... and I look forward to posting (and hopefully assisting others) on this forum in the near future.

By the way! I do still have some issues but Ill nip off now and start a new thread. Ill post the link to that thread here as a continuation of my set up in case it may still help others.

Briefly, that issue is that I want to sign in as @domain.com rather than @anotherdomain.local

Cheers dudes,

Glenn 

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:56 AM

All replies

• Can you supply some background info?  IS this a fresh OCS install in a production forest, a test install with a pre-existing older version (LCS), an attempted reinstallation, etc?  It appears you have two incompatible versions of a the product on the same server, or at least the same FQDN; did you wipre and rebuild a server by chance?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply, please bear with me as im fairly new to ocs.

I set up a network on a 2mb dedicated line for hosting some of our companies websites. This network is not connected to our internal network. I have about 5 systems on this network with isa server 2006 sp1 as the firewall. All machines are running Server 2003 R2, 64 bit dual cores with 8gb ram each. Everything is a fresh install. Ignoring the ISA server we have...

Machine 1 = Domain controller (Active directory)

Machine 2 = SQL 2005

Machine 3 = OCS 2007 Enterprise Smile (and possibly sharepoint?)

Machine 4 = Application server .NET (hosting some of our .net demos for customer to view)

Machine 5 = Application server PHP (hosting some of our php demos)

I gues you can ignore machine 4 and 5 Smile My initial plan was to install OCS and Sharepoint on M3... if possible, or just OCS and build another computer for Sharepoint.

No important data is held on the computers, as mention it is not linked by a back end firewall to our internal network... this is simply an environment for our company to make use of new technologies.

I started off by running AD Prep on the domain controller, then after installing the latest service pack on the SQL box I proceeded to install OCS on M3. This worked like a charm. I forwarded the ports from ISA server and externally we connect up with our ip address and TLS checked. No problems, worked fine. Added users to active directory and enabled them for communications.

I installed Sharepoint on M3 but after a restart I noticed the problem with OCS. I thought at first it was a conflict with sharepoint so I uninstalled sharepoint and set IIS back to 32 bit mode. The problem remains. I tried to follow the instructions here : -

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1673986&SiteID=57

you will see I also posted on this thread.

I didnt wipe and rebuild the server, Im guessing the problem is something to do with having just one OCS box? We realy only need it to work externally as I said because its not part of a DMZ.

Jeff... if you can help me with this Ill be forwarding a bar of the best chocolate via first class mail.

Glenn

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Looks like you are running on a Windows 64 bit server?

Read this part of the supportability guide

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f8cc9b59-225f-425d-bd3a-e506396c6207&DisplayLang=en

WOW64 Support

Table 3 shows support for Office Communications Server on WOW64. Please note the following:

·         There is no 64-bit edition of Office Communications Server 2007.

·         Windows Server for Itanium-based systems is not a supported operating system.

·         The 64-bit .NET Framework must be used when a supported 64-bit operating system is deployed.

Table 3. WOW64 Support

Component

WOW64 Support

Standard Edition

Windows Server 2003 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

Windows Server 2003 R2 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition.

A/V Edge Server (only)

Running the 64-bit kernel driver component of the A/V Edge Server natively and the A/V Edge Server component with WOW64 mode on one of the following:

·        Windows Server 2003 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

·        Windows Server 2003 R2 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

Back-End Database Server with SQL Server 2005

SQL Server 2005 (32-bit) (either Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition) running on one of the following:

·        Windows Server 2003 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

·        Windows Server 2003 R2 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

Communicator Web Access

Windows Server 2003 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

Windows Server 2003 R2 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) x64 Edition

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, running windows 64bit, I agree this is not supported fully but I cant see where the incompatibility exists. We do run OCS internally and it works fine on an 8 core 64 bit server. Could you please be more specific?

Cheers

Glenn

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:59 PM
  •  Glennzo wrote:

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, running windows 64bit, I agree this is not supported fully but I cant see where the incompatibility exists. We do run OCS internally and it works fine on an 8 core 64 bit server. Could you please be more specific?

Cheers

Glenn

hiya, again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this error?

cheers!

Glenn

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:30 PM
  • It does work on x64

It seems that you might have a beta version of OCS installed on some server

Look at this thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2437874&SiteID=57

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:23 AM
  • I have only installed ocs on one server, it may or may not be a beta version.

Ive called Microsoft and they are busy and will most probably call me back tomorrow.

Ive wiped the ocs server and installed windows 32bit but the problem is still there.

must be something in active directory.

any help in the mean time is much appreciated.

Cheers

Glenn

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Yes I suspect that there is something that has been left there by a previous installation

You can find information how to delete previous pools on Jeff's blog

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=13

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Curious.  Did you end up "deactivating" the server when you uninstalled OCS?  If not you probably have some cleaning up to do in AD and/or SQL.

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Dudes,

Thanks for your help so far.

I did manage to sort this out but ive been in London all day so need sleep.

Ill do my best to type up what happened and post by Monday.

Cheers to Deli for his assistance.

BRB

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Dudes,

Sorry for late reply. Heres where Im at.

When I posted this thread, I was trying to get an external connection to a trail setup of OCS 2007. Previously we had been using OCS for demonstrations and trails but we were having to log in via a VPN to connect up from outside of the office.

Obviously, this wasnt the answer. We set up some hosting (not connected to out main network). I tried to install OCS onto one server but slowly, after posting here and doing some research, it clicked that I needed an edge server.

Simply, you cannot (correct me Jeff if im wrong) set up an external connection to OCS without an edge server. So two servers are the minimum with the main server set up as a DIRECTOR.

I did have two instances within the MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting  but that was because I was checking a box within Office Communicator Setting with something to do with edge server. If anyone needs more info on which box it was let me know. I will need to get in the office to find out becuase I cant remember.

Before discovering this I had tried deleting MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting completely! , I then realised Id buggered eveything up and ended up deleteing everything MSFT SIP / OCS related from root/cimv2 and completely rolling back the install.

Note: I could get OCS to work externally on one server but I had to start services with one certificate, then assign my external certificate without restarting the services. If the server shut down or restarted this would need to be done every time.

So, hopefully Ive explained myself... and I look forward to posting (and hopefully assisting others) on this forum in the near future.

By the way! I do still have some issues but Ill nip off now and start a new thread. Ill post the link to that thread here as a continuation of my set up in case it may still help others.

Briefly, that issue is that I want to sign in as @domain.com rather than @anotherdomain.local

Cheers dudes,

Glenn 

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:56 AM