LiveMeeting Basics RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fairly full-blown OCS installation up and working, but I've noticed some weirdness with LiveMeeting. Maybe it's not weird, but I'd like some explanation from the pros here.

I am trying to get LiveMeeting working properly, and while on a domain joined machine, I can click the Test Connection... button in the User Accounts dialog box and it checks out properly. If I try this on a non-domain joined machine, it fails, giving me this error:

"Cannot connect to server because the information in the User Accounts dialog might be incorrect or improperly formatted. Please verify that this information is correct, and then click Test Connection. If you still can't connect, the server might not be available."

On the domain joined machine, if I go through this same process but change the Sign-in name to another valid account, it also fails with the same error (even when I click Advanced... and tell it to use my user id and password).

It seems to take a while to fail. I won't go into too much in this initial post, but I am wondering, what are the essential requirements for having LiveMeeting work inside and outside the corporate network? I have searched the documentation and I dont see anything specific about that. I'd love some guidance on this.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:02 PM

Answers

• On non domain joined machines you need to provide Live meeting with user credential information.  Under User Accounts click on Advanced.  Select the checkbox "use the following username and password".  Enter your username "Domain\username" and password.  Now test the connection.

Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:34 PM

All replies

• Here's another data point for y'all.

I am able to connect to OCS with Communicator from the outside (through the Edge server) and use the chat service, and I just tested starting a livemeeting directly from communicator and it worked. It seemed to pass my credentials in. After that, I closed the meeting and opened the Live Meeting thick client and configured it for my account and it worked.

Perhaps I did something slightly differently that corrected the problem, but I guess my question still remains... what are the basics that are required for this? Are there certain DNS records that make Live Meeting happen? Are there certain Edge Server configuration options I need to be aware of?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:34 PM
  • On non domain joined machines you need to provide Live meeting with user credential information.  Under User Accounts click on Advanced.  Select the checkbox "use the following username and password".  Enter your username "Domain\username" and password.  Now test the connection.

Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Hi
    Have you try Mark said?
    Any update for your issue?
    Some information related with the livemeeting and OCS.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ocs/dd365036.aspx

Regards!

Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Mark is correct. I think I may have had some weird DNS issues on my test computer here (I've been using it for a lot of random things and switching domains and such). After rebuilding it, though (and using other test machines around here), I am able to configure my LM settings as Mark described and it seems to be working.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:51 PM