Installing Updates - Stuck at 14% RRS feed

• Question

• I just received my HP home server.  I put three 750 GB drives in it and started it for the first time.  I installed the connector software and followed the prompts.  I'm at the point where the server is updating itself.  It has been stuck at 14% for over two hours.

It says don't turn it off, so of course I'm not turning it off.

The lights on the server hold steady, then fade quickly to a low level, and then brighten again.  I have no information as to what this means, but it's been doing it ever since I started the machine.

The computer I'm using is a P3 800 with 512 MB of RAM running WinXP SP3.  It's extremely slow, yes.  There is a program running in the background that is called WHSOOBE.EXE which seems to be taking up quite a bit of resources compared to other programs.  Could my 800 mhz machine be the bottleneck?  I don't know why it would affec the server, but I figured it's worth mentioning.

What should I do?  It seems like it is pretty much stuck.  Should I shut the server off and restore it and start over?  Should I remove the three hard drives I added?

Thanks for the help!!

-Matt

Friday, April 24, 2009 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,
    you can try to disconnect the server from the Internet/Network.
    The problem with the updates is that it is a very heavy bunch of software. Alone .NET Framework 3.5 is more than 200 MB and takes also a lot of time for download and installation also on faster machines than the HP Home Server (which model, btw.?).
    So either be patient, or perform the updates manually at a later stage.
    The performance of the client PC does not matter in this context.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Friday, April 24, 2009 12:17 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:05 AM

All replies

• I had the same issue with mine. Turn it off as there is nothing you can do at this point anyway. Restart the setup wizard and do not choose to check for updates.

Friday, April 24, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Hi Matt,
    you can try to disconnect the server from the Internet/Network.
    The problem with the updates is that it is a very heavy bunch of software. Alone .NET Framework 3.5 is more than 200 MB and takes also a lot of time for download and installation also on faster machines than the HP Home Server (which model, btw.?).
    So either be patient, or perform the updates manually at a later stage.
    The performance of the client PC does not matter in this context.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Friday, April 24, 2009 12:17 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:05 AM
  • Well, I left it running all night (went to bed right after I posted) and it was all OK this morning.  Sorry for the thread; hopefully it will help someone else.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Matt
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:17 PM