Unable to install Visual Basic 6 Enterprise into Dell Latitude 3480 32-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have newly bought 3 units of Dell Latitude 3480 with i5-6200U processor and 32-bit OS.

I’m having problem to install Visual Basic 6 Enterprise into all the 3 machine. We do not face any problem previously to install into Dell Latitude E5440, E6430s, etc.

Below my checking when trying to install VB6 into the machine:-

Install successfully (Dell Latitude E5540, E6430s, etc):-

When launch the setup, check in Processes. Ntvdm.exe running follow by

Acmboot.exe

Winoldap.mod

Wowexec.exe

Able to access to Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise installation maintenance program for installation.

Failed to install (Dell Latitude 3480)

When launch the setup, check in Processes. Ntvdm.exe running but other .exe is not appearing.

After a while, the message prompted – “Couldn’t find Acme setup”

Clicked on OK then the message box showing – “The Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition setup failed.”

Also noticed the ntvdm.exe is still running.

Any expert can help here? Else the 3 new units bought will be useless as cannot install vb6 for our in-house system.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:34 AM

All replies

• VB6 is about 20 years old now. 

Another name as VS which was used was VB'98 (in the previous millennium that quote was written for 19). 

It is already for a long time not more supported and although like many programs it runs on some OS systems. Is there not any guarantee from Microsoft it does. (The runtime from VB6 which was not .Net is still supported on a base level).

(Please moderators do not move this thread to the VB forum)

Success Cor

Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:16 AM
  • Agreed with Cor Ligthert, VB6 is too old dear friend. 

Please check following. They said copy to installation to your local disk. are you installing VS6 from CD or from network share. 

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?305520-Installing-VB6-Enterprise-RESOLVED

පුෂ්පකුමාර

Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:38 AM
  • I know VB6 is too old but no choice my company is still using it until the next migration which will takes few years.

I posting in this forum is to look for solution but not expecting people asking me to stop using it.

I can install in other machine but why not this Dell Latitude 3480? Same Win 7 and 32 bit machine. Is there any compatibility issue here?

Anyone else face the same issue? I need some expertise here to provide me solution.....

Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:46 AM
  • I know VB6 is too old but no choice my company is still using it until the next migration which will takes few years.

I posting in this forum is to look for solution but not expecting people asking me to stop using it.

I can install in other machine but why not this Dell Latitude 3480? Same Win 7 and 32 bit machine. Is there any compatibility issue here?

Anyone else face the same issue? I need some expertise here to provide me solution.....

Try using VB6 programming IDE installer

Or try asking at VB Forums who are more helpful for VB questions.

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support StatementVB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Hi wclim519,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

You could have a look at the thread:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?305520-Installing-VB6-Enterprise-RESOLVED

"I had the same issue installing on Windows 7 from a network folder.  Copying the folder to the C: drive solved the problem. “

If the issue persists, I recommend you go to VB Forums to talk about it(Visual Basic 6 Enterprise is not to be supported in this forum), and if you have problems about visual studio IDE, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hi Joyce Yin,

I have tried to install by using the setup file in network folder and local drive. It return the same error.

Thanks anyway.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:14 AM