Cannot install Live Mesh on Vista SP 2 PC RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I run LiveMesh.exe from my downloads directory using an account that has local administrative permissions I immediately get a dialog popup that says:

"Configuration Program has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

Note that "Configuration Program" is the File Description shown when I hover over LiveMesh.exe.

The app error log shows:

Faulting application LiveMesh.exe, version 0.9.4014.7, time stamp 0x4a2b531c, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e037dd, exception code 0xe06d7363, fault offset 0x0003fbae, process id 0xddc, application start time 0x01caa8c2d90bb83f.

It is the first time I have installed Live Mesh on this machine. I have UAC enabled and virus checkers and firewalls disabled. I connect to the internet through a std ISP connection. The downloads dir is not encrypted.

I have searched these and other forums for a similar problem but did not find it.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Monday, February 8, 2010 1:34 PM

All replies

• Is the machine up to date with all security updates?
    How about the Windows Update Agent - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/1335008b-4f69-44d5-8544-2dc25771295e?

The above are long shots, though, since it appears that you crash happens on launch and not while it is actually trying to install.
    How about deleting the downloaded file and downloading the installer once again?

The error seems to indicate that the installer is actually corrupt. It may also indicate problems with the OS. You mention "Virus checkers" - plural. What security is installed on this machine? You should only have one antivirus program running and one firewall and neither should need to be disabled to install Live Mesh.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

Yes up to date with all security updates. I'll check windows update agent when I get home - assuming it is delivered separately from windows update. 

I have already tried re-downloading the installer. No luck. I thought the same thing given the way it just crashes straight away.

Should have been virus check singular, firewalls plural. McAfee virus checker and s/w firewall and windows firewall. I stopped them just in case after reading advice after googling.

It crashes so abruptly I thought I may have associated the .exe extension with something other than running a program, if that's possible, but I used a utility to clear any possible .exe file type association - and other .exe's seem to run normally anyway.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Updated Windows Update Agent from the link just in case but no luck :(
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:42 AM
  • I don't think that this will solve it, but maybe...
    You really need to remove the software firewall or disable the Windows firewall, as running 2 firewalls concurrently can wreak havoc on connectivity. You never want to run multple software firewalls and Windows firewall is a software firewall. Pick one or the other.
    When you download the installer, where are you saving it or are you running it directly from the download?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:00 PM
  • The software firewall is really just some gumby firewall that mcafee implements in its virus software - doubt it interfers with the windows one but regardless I did turn them both off when attempting install.

I am saving it to my user downloads directory and then running it separately after it is downloaded. I have tried "run as administrator" but get same error.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:59 AM
  • Instead of saving the installer and running it, what happens when you simply choose Install/Run when you click the download link?
    -steve
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:37 PM