update KB959772 causes An unauthorized change was made to Windows error RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of weeks ago a friend's system re-booted after applying MS updates and when it came back up they could not get into Vista, it was giving them an error message "An unauthorized change was made to Windows.  Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows Functionality."    The system is a Dell re-furbed which had Vista pre-installed.
    I checked for Viruses and spyware and it came back clean.
    I booted into safe mode, did a system restore for them and got them back up and running.
    A couple of days later the system applied the updates again and they were back to the error.
    I checked to see which updates were applied and there were 4.  I un-installed them one at a time and re-booted and got the same error.  When I  un-installed KB959772 the issue went away.
    I went into the updates and hid this one but somehow it got installed again and they are back to the same problem.
    I'm not sure where to go at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul03182002,

Since you appear to know how to fix the resulting Non-Genuine issue, the best place for you to go would be  tothe group that, appears, to be the root cause.

You can find the Windows Update Solution Center at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab0
    On the upper right hand side of the page is a link to (no cost) Windows Update support.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:29 PM