microsoft office home and student problem with product key RRS feed

• Question

• When i purchased my PC with windows vista operating system 2 months ago it came with microsoft office pre installed. I have validated this online and it is genuine according to Microsoft. When I right click on my computor it states that the product is activated. However when I open microsoft office it asks for a product code I located this on the bottom of my PC but when I type this code in I get a message stating the key is incorrect. I have tried right clicking on my computer and changing the product key in this I typed the product key found on the PC and still microsoft office is requesting a product key and not accepting the one I have. Now I do not have any access to microsoft office word documents will open but will not let you type in them without the key. Can anyone help or advise?
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hello poppy440,

The product key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the bottom of the computer is only for the Windows Vista installation that came on the computer and should not be expected to activate any other installation of Windows or any other Microsoft product.

The installation of Office (the most common Trial is Office Home & Student 2007) that came with the computer is a Trial installation that was good for about a 60-day Trial period.

Now that the Trial has expired, if you want to maintain full functionality of the installed programs, you have to purchase a license for the product.  Otherwise the Office component programs will work more-or-less as readers---you can open, view and print documents but you cannot edit an existing doc or start a new one.

If the installed Trial is for Office H&S 2007, you may be able to find retail packages still on store shelves and you might be able to buy at a pretty good price since the successor to Offic 2007 (Office 2010) has been released for about a month.  Buy the product at retail then enter the Product Key found in the retail package into the Activation Wizard, and you're back in business.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, July 23, 2010 5:29 PM