Unable to "access custom virus scan" / unable to manage files in quarantine plZZZZ help? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok .. not to sound like a broken record on purpose, but as written in the title Im unable to perform a custom virus scan.   Which made me very suspicious,  I figured something somehow sneaked by me and infected onecare.  So I moved along and performed a quick virus scan and onecare WAS able to manage that with a clean report.. no infections, no items quarantined ... nothing. Although when I click to start a custom virus scan onecare freezes and doesn't respond, forcing a ctrl+Alt Del "end task" because it'll just stay there frozen for who knows how long. I start onecare over  and click to change my onecare settings, I then clicked on the virus' and spyware tab .  I wanted to see what items were in my quarantine , but when i click on the quarantine... button I get this message

"The virus and spyware protection service encountered an unknown problem.  Please try again later. If the problem persists , contact support."  

Ok now i'm happy... at least i'm getting an error message and not a onecare crash.  I don't have any other antivirus software fully installed to protect my pc w/ onecare. only trials of things every now and then.  After I experienced the onecare crash I immediately installed a third party antivirus trial called True Sword and ran a scan.. The report came back with two trojan infections which onecare missed , probably because it's infected with them.  The treat names of the culprits are Autorun.inf infected and Media Codec.Process
    Ok so after two and a half weeks the problem "persists" so I am now contacting support.  Can anyone help with this , Im getting paranoid , something doesn't want me to find it. HELLLLLPPP!!!
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 7:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• The error message indicates that one of the entries in the Quarantine has been corrupted. That can be fixed by manually deleting the corrupt entry as described in this post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/60ad7a0f-61b8-454f-aa18-f682a58eb718

However, there is no known correlation between the Quarantine problem and the problem you’re experiencing with the Custom Scan. So if that issue persists, you probably have either undetected malware, or collateral damage from the malware that was removed by True Sword, and contacting OneCare Support would be the best way to sort things out: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90  

GreginMich

Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Nice thanks for the link.  Ill check it out after this post. 

On the other hand concerning my custom scan problem, I failed to mention that I never bought True Sword to remove anything.  I only downloaded it to see if it found anything suspicious onecare couldn't, which it unfortunately did.  So there can't be any collateral damage from any malware removed by True Sword.  Any other suggestions besides contacting onecare support?

Ps Ive been running a complete virus scan literally since my last post last night with onecare.  Nothing found as of yet and it's at 50% done right now. 

SteVe
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:03 AM
  • ok the link you gave me earlier for the quarantine fix did in fact work.
    Sweet nice skillz
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:12 AM
  • I’m glad to hear that the Quarantine fix worked. The long-running Complete Scan makes it sound like some kind of conflict situation. You might want to try running any available cleanup tools for the trial versions that you previously installed, and you should also remove True Sword. True Sword has quite a checkered past, and only claims to catch “some kinds of viruses”. Use the well-known online scanners rather than trial versions to do your double-checking: The Kaspersky Online Scanner has a high detection rate, but unfortunately no longer removes the malware that it finds. Trend Micro, Eset, Ewido, and several of the other online scanners will still remove any malware that they detect. Don’t use anything that you don’t recognize, because many of the online scanners are rogues.

The problem with the Custom Scan might not be resolved by simply cleaning up your system and removing all of the malware. If the problem persists after you’re reasonably confident that the system is clean, you can try uninstalling OneCare, running the cleanup tool, and then reinstalling:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943

If cleaning up and reinstalling doesn’t help, it’s likely that the problem is being caused by systemic damage that might be difficult to identify and correct, and you should definitely contact Support at that point.

GreginMich

Monday, June 8, 2009 8:38 PM