Posts and Notes RRS feed

• Question

• We are just having the new 2013 roll up installed and I have been looking around on a trail site to see how things work. I am having trouble trying to figure out the difference between Posts and Notes. Is there an easy explanation?

Thanks

Janis Jarvis

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Janis,

I tend to think of posts as "broadcasts" they are something that can be "pushed" out to other users much like a twitter or facebook post. If another user chooses to follow a particular record, an account for example, and you add a post to the record, the user will be able to see this on their activity feed. So they are essentially being notified of activity on the account without having to go direct to the account record. Another great feature of posts is that they can be auto generated for events such as adding a new opportunity to an account.

Notes on the other hand are just static pieces of information applied directly to a record. So your user would not know that you had added a note to the account record unless they were regularly checking the record.

Posts can be really useful when you have multiple people who have an interest in a particular record. For example, Sales person "A" owns an account record and adds a new opportunity. Sales Manager "B" is following the account and receives a post on his activity feed notifying him that a new opportunity has been created.

• Marked as answer by J Jarvis Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Janis,

I tend to think of posts as "broadcasts" they are something that can be "pushed" out to other users much like a twitter or facebook post. If another user chooses to follow a particular record, an account for example, and you add a post to the record, the user will be able to see this on their activity feed. So they are essentially being notified of activity on the account without having to go direct to the account record. Another great feature of posts is that they can be auto generated for events such as adding a new opportunity to an account.

Notes on the other hand are just static pieces of information applied directly to a record. So your user would not know that you had added a note to the account record unless they were regularly checking the record.

Posts can be really useful when you have multiple people who have an interest in a particular record. For example, Sales person "A" owns an account record and adds a new opportunity. Sales Manager "B" is following the account and receives a post on his activity feed notifying him that a new opportunity has been created.

• Marked as answer by J Jarvis Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Thanks, this will help me explain the difference to my users.

Janis

Janis Jarvis

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:46 PM