File sharing performance issues since Feb15th updates: Win7-64bit clients only? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues when accessing data on the WHS2011 server (64bit installation english), anyone else having this problem or know a solution?

Problem description:

Very slow network performance when attempting to download (large) files from shares on the server. Transfer rates no higher than 20KB/s. Problems occurred after February 14th wave of updates on server and client systems. Restarting systems / waiting few days to pass did not help. The problem occurs on a Windows 7 professional system (64bit) and a Windows 7 home premium system (64bit). The windows XP system (32bit) is not affected.

Troubleshooting:

* The issue is limited to downloading or opening files over the network only. Uploading still proceeds with 30MB/s+. Also the problem is limited to client-side access. Uploading/downloading from the server (through RDP) to client-shares is full speed without problems. No issues when using the web interface to upload / download data.

* Performing a system restore on the Windows 7 professional system to any date prior to February 14th will solve the problem for a short while, but soon results in problems again through automated update. Unfortunately, I ran out of system restore points prior to Feb 14th due to auto-clean up (limited to 5% diskspace, restore operations cause new point to be created).

* So I performed full-system restore on the Win7prof system to Feb 12th, not realizing this will not restore and in fact delete all system restore options, as well as discard the ability to roll-back windows updates. Strangely enough, this option was not successful, possibly I was not in time to disable updates or it was caused by the automatically triggered connector-update.

* A try on the windows 7 home prof system to re-install connector. Stupid idea, after removal the software needs to be downloaded from the server, at 20kb/s this takes forever.

* Uninstalling the 'Update rollup kb2630434' on WHS2011, no change.

Any hints or suggestions most welcome! Thank you.

Update:

* Just gave it a try using Window 7 Enterprise (English, 32bit) laptop from work, no problems there. Keep in mind updates on this computer are not in sync with updates for private computer systems. Config screen reports latest updates were installed on January 11th.

• Edited by Rob8181 Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:20 PM Info added
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:55 PM

Answers

• Appears I got this issue solved! Searching on the forums resulted in at least 2 hits with similar issues. I was able to solve and reproduce the error by switching the following setting on the WHS2011 NIC (accessible through NIC Status, Properties, Advanced tab):

Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6): Change from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled'

Changing the identical parameter for IPv4 is not related, I can leave this setting Enabled. This parameter is only available on one of the two Windows7 clients, probably this is specific for the NIC driver. On the one with this setting available, I can leave both IPv6 and IPv4 settings Enabled without problem.

Concluding: Problem was caused by Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) setting being enabled and was possibly triggered by a recent update. Strange enough, I believe IPv6 is not being used. It is possible that only WHS2011/Server2008R2 users with a NIC driver having this feature are affected. Possibly this is driver-specific, considering the small number of reported issues.

The affected NIC in my case: Realtek PCIe GBE family controller, Asus P8H61-M Pro motherboard - onboard LAN. It's a rather new board, i3-2100T can recommend it to anyone, runs cool but powerful. NIC Driver version: 7.44.421.2011 (21-4-2011).

Continued by updating the NIC driver to version 7.50.1123.2011 (23-11-2011), now I can work again with Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6): Enabled.

Update: Problem was caused by a problem with the specific driver version for NIC at the WHS2011. This specific driver was acquired automatically using the 'update driver' feature, it was specified as up-to-date. Manually upgrading to a different version (acquired from Realtek website) solved all issues.

A nice bonus is that the WHS2011 Dashboard opens notably faster on all computers.

• Edited by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM

All replies

• No problem here - still copying from shared folders to a W7 Pro 64-bit Client at 65MB/sec on a GB LAN from both of my servers.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Appears I got this issue solved! Searching on the forums resulted in at least 2 hits with similar issues. I was able to solve and reproduce the error by switching the following setting on the WHS2011 NIC (accessible through NIC Status, Properties, Advanced tab):

Changing the identical parameter for IPv4 is not related, I can leave this setting Enabled. This parameter is only available on one of the two Windows7 clients, probably this is specific for the NIC driver. On the one with this setting available, I can leave both IPv6 and IPv4 settings Enabled without problem.

Concluding: Problem was caused by Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) setting being enabled and was possibly triggered by a recent update. Strange enough, I believe IPv6 is not being used. It is possible that only WHS2011/Server2008R2 users with a NIC driver having this feature are affected. Possibly this is driver-specific, considering the small number of reported issues.

The affected NIC in my case: Realtek PCIe GBE family controller, Asus P8H61-M Pro motherboard - onboard LAN. It's a rather new board, i3-2100T can recommend it to anyone, runs cool but powerful. NIC Driver version: 7.44.421.2011 (21-4-2011).

• Marked as answer by Rob8181 Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:08 PM
    • Edited by Rob8181 Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:41 PM Additional info
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:12 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:07 PM
  • I have two servers without that problem - both have Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) "Enabled" but using a different driver version (7.41.216.2011)!

I agree about the i3-2100T.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:12 PM

Continued by updating the NIC driver to version 7.50.1123.2011 (23-11-2011), now I can work again with Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6): Enabled.

Update: Problem was caused by a problem with the specific driver version for NIC at the WHS2011. This specific driver was acquired automatically using the 'update driver' feature, it was specified as up-to-date. Manually upgrading to a different version (acquired from Realtek website) solved all issues.

A nice bonus is that the WHS2011 Dashboard opens notably faster on all computers.

• Edited by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rob8181 Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11 PM