So Upset about the News RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Well I for one am very sad that it has been decided to phase out Windows Live One Care. I have used this product to protect my computer since it was in beta, and I have never encountered any problems with it at all. I have loved the way it works quietly in the background, just getting on with things, not keep 'popping up' all the time with warnings about this and that, I will really miss its full features.

TG

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:44 AM

All replies

• You're not alone in your sadness. It remains to be seen what comes next, but rest assured that OneCare will continue to be supported for the life of your subscription, which can be renewed as desired through around June of 2009, providing coverage through the middle of 2010. I remain hopeful that some of the better features of OneCare make it into a new product, perhaps also free, to be available when OneCare is no longer an option, and the replacement antimalware product is made available.

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:40 PM
  • I personally think this is a bad marketing move.  MS should keep the OneCare name and keep it a premium product.  I think giving free anti-virus and malware protection to the average user is a great idea.  But for people that want a more complete solution (backup, tuneup, onecare circle, etc.) they could pay a little bit per year and have OneCare.

I have a hard time believing that they will give out a product as good as OneCare for free.  There will be some features missing, the features we all bought OneCare for in the first place.

Brad

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:36 AM
  • The reason they're stopping the sale of OneCare is that it wasn't accomplishing what they originally intended, which was to provide a cheap and easy anti-malware product to the 60% of users who don't have current protection installed. The 'extras' like the Backup, Circle, and Printer sharing were added in hopes of expanding interest in the product.

The intended free product will be primarily anti-malware with as small a footprint as possible to run on low resource machines sold internationally. This will likely preclude anything other than a bit of scheduling, which might work sort of like a Tune-Up, though we won't know until they announce the specifics.

I personally bought OneCare for the anti-malware, though I also used the backup the rest was just extra stuff I didn't need, though I know others used some of them. I would probably have used the online photo backup if the announcement hadn't happened, but that's about it.

Which of the extra features really matter to you and why?

OneCareBear

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:06 AM
  • The reason they're stopping the sale of OneCare is that it wasn't accomplishing what they originally intended, which was to provide a cheap and easy anti-malware product to the 60% of users who don't have current protection installed. The 'extras' like the Backup, Circle, and Printer sharing were added in hopes of expanding interest in the product.

Which of the extra features really matter to you and why?

Above quotes nicked from OneCareBear!

As far as I'm concerned, the whole of OneCare's features are excellent. One thing I do love is that it "bullies" me into making a backup. Yes, I know I have backup, defrag, etc. within Vista's own software but to be told when to backup is a marvel. I can't forget to do it while I have this feature.

A mate of mine warned me about the changes. I was gutted when I read the news. For instance, who else warned us about that threat going around about a month ago? Remember how we were all squawking on here that the warning was stuck on OneCare's software whenever we opened it? That's another stunning feature. Shows that Microsoft actually does care for it's customers/users. Tune-up is good. Defrag is a bit of a drag as it tends to report it could only do some of the C;\ drive but I know why that happens, now, and ignore it. The monthly report is another great feature. Overall, OneCare, as it stands, is a well-thought-out, well-built, cracking bit of software and I want the same features in Morro. I'd pay for it. I was charged 40 quid for my current subscription with OneCare and it's the best money I've ever spent. Give me the same again, please, Microsoft! Tell you what, if they don't, they'll be letting themselves down badly, along with us users. Don't mean that to be harsh, just honest.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:14 AM
  •  One Care Bear,

You asked "Which of the extra features really matter to you and why?"

Just as you said it ... it's the "extras, like the Backup, Circle, and printer sharing"!  One Care was sweet right out of the box! It works seamlessly to protect our 3 PCs; and like magic, it gives us a choice of 2 printers! I can take my laptop to bed, and those printers can find me! All this for the price of 1 software license! It just doesn't get any better. MM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:06 AM
  • I loved the backup feature.  I am not sure what I will do once my sub is over.  I have tried Norton in the past but it's too bloggy for me and too intrusive.
    OneCare will be missed.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:42 PM