How to move data to a new server on same hard drives? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS for a short time on a configuration that I realize isn't ideal, and am planning on moving to a new case and setup. The hard drives are new, so I plan on just using those in the new setup. Unfortunately I've already stored all my files and backups on my four 1TB hard drives.

What is the best solution for transferring this to the new WHS hardware without need for additional cost? I have older 500GB and 320GB and even two 250GB laptop hard drives I could use to backup all the data, but it seems like there should be a simpler way to just reinstall WHS on the same initial partition.

Of course I know I should probably backup the data anyways to be safe, but I'd like to be able to just install the HDD's reconfigure and hit the ground running without needing to transfer nearly 1TB of data over a USB connection to the server on the new machine from multiple hard drives.

Thanks for any help.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:28 PM

Answers

• Ok, so I just pop the hard drives into the new machine, start an install like normal, and it will just overwrite the existing WHS partition? Or is there another procedure?

Server Reinstallation is a special install mode.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details (it still applies, even though it's not your exact situation). 

As far as license, I recently acquired a TechNet Plus subscription, so I can pull another key if needed. I don't think (hope) it won't be an issue.

Thanks for help!

MarkBx

• Marked as answer by MarkBx Friday, July 24, 2009 4:30 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:25 AM

All replies

• I have been running WHS for a short time on a configuration that I realize isn't ideal, and am planning on moving to a new case and setup. The hard drives are new, so I plan on just using those in the new setup. Unfortunately I've already stored all my files and backups on my four 1TB hard drives.

What is the best solution for transferring this to the new WHS hardware without need for additional cost? I have older 500GB and 320GB and even two 250GB laptop hard drives I could use to backup all the data, but it seems like there should be a simpler way to just reinstall WHS on the same initial partition.

Of course I know I should probably backup the data anyways to be safe, but I'd like to be able to just install the HDD's reconfigure and hit the ground running without needing to transfer nearly 1TB of data over a USB connection to the server on the new machine from multiple hard drives.

Thanks for any help.
    Just do a Server Reinstallation when you get your new hardware set up.  It will reinstall the OS, but keep the data in tact.  NOTE:  Moving your OEM license from one mobo to another is a violation of the OEM licensing agreement and MS could, in theory, keep you from activating a second time.  Having said that, other users have done exactly that and have not had issues activating again.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Ok, so I just pop the hard drives into the new machine, start an install like normal, and it will just overwrite the existing WHS partition? Or is there another procedure?

As far as license, I recently acquired a TechNet Plus subscription, so I can pull another key if needed. I don't think (hope) it won't be an issue.

Thanks for help!

MarkBx
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:11 AM

Server Reinstallation is a special install mode.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details (it still applies, even though it's not your exact situation). 

Thanks for help!

MarkBx

• Marked as answer by MarkBx Friday, July 24, 2009 4:30 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Thanks! I will "Mark as Answer" once I get my hardware set up and successfully reinstall WHS. I've done some web search for reactivation and it seems not to be a problem for most people, as long as it's not abused (many time reactivate).

I should have planned better, but I thought what the heck, I had the hardware, got my TechNet Plus subscription, but in the end, it just isn't as robust as I'd like. So I have to spend a few bucks to "do it right". And for my file server, I think that's important.

Anyhow, thanks for the response. Will update once I get everything in place, probably about a week.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:32 AM
  • If you're not sure about server reinstallation (and I personally don't trust it, never having got it to work for me during beta or once it was released), you can do the following (as long as you're confident doing things manually):

1. Backup your backup database (there's an MS knowledgebase article somewhere, but at time of writing the link is dead and I can't find another one), or there are a couple of add-ins that can now do this.
    2. Use the console to remove one of the 1TB drives (if you have enough free space on the others to take the data on this drive, or add one of the 500GB drives in to the storage pool first).
    3. Once the drive is removed, install the drive in the new PC, install WHS as a clean brand new install. then shut down the WHS.
    4. Add your 1TB drives to your new machine, but DO NOT add them to the storage pool at this point.
    5. Go to the desktop on the home server, and make sure your data drives have drive letters.
    6. You can at this point now start copying data from the drives into the new shares on the server (make sure you use \\server\sharename as the destination).
    7. Once you've cleared on drive, you can add it to the pool, and then do the next drive.
    8. Re-install the backup addin, or follow the procedure to restore your computer backups files.

While you're copying data, you may get warnings about duplicated files, if you had folder duplication turned on in the previous setup. Also, be careful if you're going to copy data from the old system drive onto the new drive, as most, if not all, of the files will be tombstones, and not actual files.

Monday, July 20, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Thanks you guys.

I just did a full transfer of hard drives to the new hardware, did a server reinstall, and it went flawlessly. At this point in time I could have recreated all the data, so I didn't do any precautionary backups. But your approach, Richard Holland, I'll take into account should I have to do this again down the road.

BTW, WHS reactivated without a question.

It's purring right along so far with hard drives temps ranging from 31-36c, idle power from wall is about 60W. Not too bad considering I went with Caviar Black drives over the green ones.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:33 AM