Vista not valid won't update/multiple problems RRS feed

• Question

• Did the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostic Tool thingy and when I tried to hit "copy" I got an error.  (Failed to create output files, hr = 0x80070002. Please contact support.) I did take a screenshot, but I'm not sure if it'll show up here or not.

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/thirdgreenham/mga.jpg[/IMG]

I can't get to Windows Update by clicking on "tools, windows update", as it doesn't open.  I click on "start, control panel" and the control panel doesn't open up.  I click on "start, computer, control panel", and finally I get in and get to windows update. 

My updates are set to "update daily", but they haven't updated since Mar. 7/2009 (KB951847) x86

When I check for updates, I get an error code 80070426 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

When I go to "start, services, Software Licensing Properties", the status is "stopped".  I hit "start".  It used to give me an error, but for some reason it is now starting.  It stays started for about 30 seconds, then reverts itself back to "stopped".

When I try to do this through cmd prompt, net start slsvc, I get System error 5 has occurred.

It seems that whatever I do, leads to another error.

I have CCleaner v2.17.853 and I have AVG free 8.5.

This problem is annoying to say the least and it's used up countless hours of fiddling around with no end in sight. 

I hope you're able to help me here. 

Thanks in advance,

thirdgreenham
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hello thrirdgreenham,

Part of problem is that your Vista's Software Licensing Service has stopped. Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Vista is unable to confirm it's own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine. 

What makes me nervous is all the other issues that you describe.  The fact that you get the error 80070426 when you attempt to check for updates, tells me that your Windows Update service has also stopped.  This makes me nervous because there is a Computer Worm (kind of like a Virus) called Conficker. One of the first things it does is turn off the Windows Update Service. It also has the ability to block access to some Anti-Virus related web sites and can disable some Anti-Virus programs. We also think that it maybe responable for the turning off of the Software Licensing Service, as well

I strongly recommend that you contact our PC Safety group (1-866-PCSafety or 1-866-727-2338). They provide free assistance with malware infections.  We also encourage you to scan your system using the Microsoft Safety Scan for Vista at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm it can sometimes catch what others miss. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• Perhaps this cropped version of my screenshot is a little clearer.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/thirdgreenham/mga_cropped.jpg
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Hello thrirdgreenham,

Part of problem is that your Vista's Software Licensing Service has stopped. Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Vista is unable to confirm it's own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine. 

What makes me nervous is all the other issues that you describe.  The fact that you get the error 80070426 when you attempt to check for updates, tells me that your Windows Update service has also stopped.  This makes me nervous because there is a Computer Worm (kind of like a Virus) called Conficker. One of the first things it does is turn off the Windows Update Service. It also has the ability to block access to some Anti-Virus related web sites and can disable some Anti-Virus programs. We also think that it maybe responable for the turning off of the Software Licensing Service, as well

I strongly recommend that you contact our PC Safety group (1-866-PCSafety or 1-866-727-2338). They provide free assistance with malware infections.  We also encourage you to scan your system using the Microsoft Safety Scan for Vista at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm it can sometimes catch what others miss. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:50 PM