OEM dilemma RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few questions about the Vista OEM that I have.

First off I built this computer from scratch. All of its hardware was purchased from an indepenent computer store; as well as the OEM copy Vista for it.

What I want is the Vista 64bit. I originally purchased the 32bit Vista Ultimate OEM when I bought all the hardware for this computer. I wanted to test out the 32 bit first. This is when Vista first came out. Now that I have tried it out I want to get the 64 bit. I know from what I heard that the OEM versions you have to go through the resellers that you got it from.

My question is what if the reseller does not offer you that option to get the 64bit disk for the OEM upgrade like Dell, Compaq, or any other reseller; what am I suppose to do?

I know people will answer that I am suppose to got out and buy the 64bit version which is another whole copy of the OS; but their is a question below on which should explain why I do not find this to be very convenient.

I ask these questions because I have been searching and could not find an answer for this. The things I did find also lead me to another thought. I noticed that an OEM is supposed to not be allowed to switch from one computer to another computer. I was thinking that if I just decide to go out and buy the 64bit version on my own that I could put it in this computer and take the x86 version that I have and use it on the XP machine so that I can upgrade it.

So here is the question that shows why the above answer that people may give is not convenient.

What am I suppose to do with the x86 (32bit) copy I have now if I go out and buy a 64bit version for this computer?

If I can not use this copy that I have right now on another motherboard then it would be a waste to go out and buy a new copy just so I can upgrade to 64bit. Now I could lie and call up the Microsoft phone support for the activation and say my old motherboard was fried allowing them to help me activate it. But what if I do not want to lie.

Am I suppose to just chuck it up as a loss?

I would hate to have a copy of an OS that I would not have a use for.

I was hoping that their would be a way to upgrade it through Microsoft. I know that you can do this for the retail versions for a small fee. I heard it was something like $10.00. But for the OEM's it is not allowed from what I have heard and read. One would think that you could still get the upgrade for these OEM versions but with just a bit more cost than the retail; yet not some much more that it would be like buying a whole new copy of the OS. Maybe $20.00 or even $30.00. Just enough to offset the price difference between the Retail and the OEM versions. Say for example that the Basic retail version cost $99.00 and the OEM Basic cost $89.00. You could make the 64bit upgrade disk cost $20.00 dollars; since it would be like $10.00 for the retail version and the difference between the OEM and Retail is only $10.00. You would take that $10.00 difference and the cost of the 64bit disk; for a total of $20.00 . (Note: I only heard that the retail 64bit upgrade disk cost $10.00. If I am wrong than I am sorry. It is just supposed to be an example any ways.)

Are the independent computer stores suppose to be allowed to sell the OEM software by itself without offering the 64bit upgrade disk for less cost to their customers like the other resellers do for their pre-built systems?

At the very least the OEM Vista Ultimate x86 versions should be entitled to the 64bit upgrade in some way even though they are an OEM copy; because the retail versions come with the choice of either version. Even if it cost a little bit of money to do so.

To me it seems that their should never have been made an OEM version. Just retail versions. They could have sold mass copies of the retail version to companies like Dell, and all the others at a mass bulk discount. This way this sort of problem would never come around. Maybe that is just too simple of an answer. Of coarse that is just my opinion.

So if anyone has any answers to my questions than please post them.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:19 AM

Answers

• Unlike retail version of Windows Vista, OEM version are sold as either a 32-bit or a 64-bit version.  If you desire a 64-bit version of Vista, then you'll have to purchase a 64-bit Vista license.  That is why OEM versions cost less....less flexiblity.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:00 AM

All replies

• Unlike retail version of Windows Vista, OEM version are sold as either a 32-bit or a 64-bit version.  If you desire a 64-bit version of Vista, then you'll have to purchase a 64-bit Vista license.  That is why OEM versions cost less....less flexiblity.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:00 AM
  •  

As much as your answer is true. Which I also already knew about. It sort of not what I was looking for.

OEM's can be upgraded as long a you go through the retailers like Dell or other companies that have them preloaded on their computers. But for those of use that built ours from scratch we can not do this. Their should be a way for us to do so even if it has a cost increase to the upgrade disk which would help offset the price difference between the two version so that you are essentially paying the same amount in the end.

It would be nice if the option on the bottom of this link (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx) would work for us OEM users as well; even if we were charged a little bit more for it. It just seems more reasonable than what Microsoft is doing.

At the very least they should not allow the OEM copies to be sold to stores or businesses that sell to the common public. To me it seems like a better way. For one it would force the public to only be able to buy the full retail version which cost more; and second this problem would have never come up for many of us.

In fact it say right on the cardboard sleeve for the case that it came in "Each individual software license inside this package may ONLY be distributed with a fully assembled computer system.". That in turn leads me to believe that everyone that is reselling the OEM copies are in fact breaking some sore of agreement or law. I was surprised by this when reading that on their after I bought it from them. It was the first OEM I ever bought and most likely will be the last. I do not care how much cheaper it is. To me seeing that makes me think that I was breaking the law.

I knew that it was an OEM version that I was buying before I bought it; yet I did not know that I would not be allowed in any way to upgrade it in the future. During the time I bought it they said that OEM's could be upgraded from 32bit to 64bit. Yet I did not know that I would not be allowed this options if I did not buy it from a company like Dell or any other company.

Well I know know and have known for some time since I got it. I am just hoping that they well change this in the future. I well be buying a new copy of Vista in the 64bit version; but I hate to have to throw away my other copy. I guess they well force me to lie to them just so that I can get this copy installed on another mobo after I buy the 64bit for this one. It just seems wrong because I hate to do such things.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:34 AM
  •  "not allow the OEM copies to be sold to stores or businesses that sell to the common public. To me it seems like a better way. "

I took the Above Quote From your post you Are right on the Money. OEM versions Are Strictly for Original Equipment manufactuer's like Dell compaq and so on It works like this you buy a Oem copy to Put on a System you Built even WITH THE SOLE IN INTENTION OF SELLING THE COMPUTER FOR PROFIT NOT MEANT FOR PERSONAL USE. Wanted to get that point across heres Another IF YOU BUY A COMPUTER TO BUILD FROM A RETAILER THEY CAN SELL YOU THE OEM VERSION BECAUSE THEY ARE SELLING YOU A COMPUTER. The only way this would be illigal if they sell you an oem version and not sell you a computer with it and you wnat to insatll it on a another computer you have already. UNLESS you buy a oem version for a computer you built and intend on selling it to the general public . This makes you the OEM in this case. Now that Said In you paticular case you should have bought a retail copy if your intention was to to upgarde. If you don't want to waste your 32bit version heck its oem so put it on a system you own that will run it and sell it in the classifids make a small profit perfectly legal may even cover the cost of the upgrade 64bit version.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 12:54 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply. I have pretty much decided to just keep it on this computer and to by the retail for all my future builds.

That store does sell them to anybody that walks in even if they do not build their own computer. Yet I did buy the Mobo from them. In fact I think that you can even buy the OEM version from places like TigerDirect.

Anyways; my next build will be a 64bit version.

Thanks again for the reply.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:15 PM