International Space Station - How to show RRS feed

• Question

• In the WWT Layers, in the Earth 'branch', the ISS is listed. But I don't find a way to go to its location.
    I am using WWT Eclipse Release RC0 and there should be a model of the ISS and Gemini present.

Ref: http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/nmhw/planetarium.html (Oct 18, 2012 - WWT Eclipse Alpha Update)

Does a tour exist that 'visits' the ISS? Not seeing it in this tour would would point to some sort of problem.

Maybe related: Choosing  Edit > 'Show KML browser' does not seem to have an effect. Nothing is opened.

My laptop has an NVIDIA NVS 4200M which I set to be used by WWT.

Thx,

Tom

Sunday, November 24, 2013 8:41 PM

Answers

• There are a few possibilities.

• Your are not connected to the internet ( or WWT can't see the connection).
    • Your graphics hardware is not sufficient (the ISS model is HUGE and required all the graphics memory we say we need in the setup instructions)
    • Your did not wait long enough for the download and loading of the model.
    • You are not tracking the ISS frame, or close enough to it to see it.
    • The download of the ISS model got corrupted and it is failing to load.

If you could let me know what type/make/model of graphics card you have and how much dedicated VRAM you have in it.

If the download was corrupted you can reset the model cache by deleting the following directory (make sure to insert your real username into the path)

C:\Users\{your user name here}\AppData\local\Microsoft\WorldWideTelescope\mdl

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by Tom Rebry Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:32 PM

All replies

• The ISS Model will be a built-in feature in the Final Eclipse release. You can go to solar system mode and right click on "Track this frame" for the ISS to follow the path of the ISS. It current builds you had to load the ISS model from a file or tour, but in the next release it will be a checkbox under the ISS reference frame to turn it on, and it will work across a network rendering, and in tours.

The URL you are pointing to is the help guide for show operators at the University of Washington planetarium, which does use WWT, but the guide is specific to their configuration.

Jonathan

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:30 PM
  • I downloaded the latest 5.0.3 release of WWT and the ISS model does not seem to be present (saving the ISS model generated a 3KB file). 

Workaround: A 3ds model of ISS can be downloaded from: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/satellites.php

• Look for: International Space Station.
    • Download the Stage 13 (Complete) 3ds file.
    • Download the Texture pack.
    • Extract the 3ds file and the textures in the same folder.
    • In WTT: Right click on the ISS layer in the Layer Manager and select 'Add'.
    • Locate the 3ds file and load it.
    • Now the ISS (textured) should be visible.
    • Save this layer.

To put ISS on its exact location:

• Copy the ISS TLE* information from the CelesTrack site: http://www.celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/stations.txt
      Copy the second and third line of the file (under the ISS name) to the clipboard.

Example:

1 25544U 98067A 14005.27158565 .00010346 00000-0 18786-3 0 3967
    2 25544 51.6484 187.0704 0005264 355.0759 356.3758 15.50170212866043

• In WWT, first make sure that Observing Time is set to 'Now'.
    • If WWT is not tracking the ISS yet: Right click on the ISS reference frame and select 'Track this frame'.
    • Right click again and select 'Properties'.
    • Select the 'Position' tab in the Reference Frame Properties dialog box.
    • Press the 'Paste TLE' button.

Now the position of IIS in WWT should represent the real position, at least for a while as orbits deviate.

When increasing the speed of the Observing Time, ISS flies across the Earth.
    Seeing it moving in the darkness of Earth's night and reappearing is a nice view.

(*) More about Two Line Elements (TLEs) and WWT can be found here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astrojonathans_hack-a-day_blog/archive/2013/04/17/going-into-orbit-with-worldwide-telescope-and-two-line-elements-tles.aspx

• Edited by Tom Rebry Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:08 PM
    Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:05 PM
  • With the latest release of WorldWide Telescope, version 5, the ISS is included in WorldWide Telescope!

• Open up the Layer Manager (click View, Show Layer Manager)
    • Open Earth node, then ISS node and click on ISS Model
      • The first time you do this, WWT will silently download the model so it may take a little while to show up depending on your internet connection.

• Right click on the ISS Reference Frame (not the ISS Model)  and click Track this Frame
      • If the ISS model has completed downloading, you should see the model in orbit around Earth (pan around a little if you don’t see it right away).

• Try:
    • turning on Observing Time (View button) and you’ll see the space station orbiting in it’s actual orbit around Earth!
    • zooming in and around the ISS - the detail is very impressive! 

• Edited by WWT_Ben Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by WWT_Ben Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Rebry Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom Rebry Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:52 PM
  • I tried again, closely following the instructions but ISS did not show up.
    The ISS orbit line is visible when enabled so the location is correct.

If I save the ISS ref. frame and open it in a text editor, then there is no URL inside that refers to a download location for the model.
    I am not sure that is needed.

Only reference info for the model: Layer Id="00000001-0002-0003-0405-060708090a0b" Type="TerraViewer.ISSLayer"

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:52 AM
  • There are a few possibilities.

• Your are not connected to the internet ( or WWT can't see the connection).
    • Your graphics hardware is not sufficient (the ISS model is HUGE and required all the graphics memory we say we need in the setup instructions)
    • Your did not wait long enough for the download and loading of the model.
    • You are not tracking the ISS frame, or close enough to it to see it.
    • The download of the ISS model got corrupted and it is failing to load.

If you could let me know what type/make/model of graphics card you have and how much dedicated VRAM you have in it.

If the download was corrupted you can reset the model cache by deleting the following directory (make sure to insert your real username into the path)

C:\Users\{your user name here}\AppData\local\Microsoft\WorldWideTelescope\mdl

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by Tom Rebry Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:32 PM
  • The last possibility was the right one. The downloaded zip file was corrupt. Erasing it solved the issue!
    The GPU in my laptop is an NVIDIA NVS 4200M: 4 GB video memory (512 MB dedicated DDR3 + 3,5 GB shared memory).

The ISS model is indeed very detailed.

Thanks for the support!

Tom

• Edited by Tom Rebry Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:16 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:16 PM