locked
WHS 2011 from WHS V1: Should I upgrade and how? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Have had WHS V1 for about 4 years now. I've been experiencing failed HDD of late and realized it was faulty SATA connectors on my motherboard. I have a new MB and CPU on order (old combo no longer available and was out of warranty) and was planning on doing a clean install of the old WHS v1, add some additional storage and do a good spring cleaning.

    Now that WHS 2011 (Vail, V2) is released should I just go a head and upgrade to the newer software?

    I am running Windows 7 64-bit on all my other machines anyway and the new hardware is 64-bit compatible, but being that WHS v2 has just been released I am uncertain where I can obtain a copy and the process of installing it? Is there an option to purchase the RC version if I download, or do I need to wait for System builder versions to become available? I am hoping to get everything up and running in the next 5 days without having to wait on software, etc and while I would prefer to have the more stable platform of the 64-bit Vail, I would like to get my server backup and running and forget about it.

     

    Friday, April 1, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

  • The system builder version of Vail is not expected until May.  No option to download unless you have TechNet or MSDN Download packages and use for testing purposes only.  TechNet and MSDN Download Vail RTM will be available early this month.

    Caution:  Do not use a trial version and expect to convert it with a RTM key later, it won't work as the time bomb is hard wired in.

    Currently, I have no plans to update to Vail at this time since DE has been eliminated.  Once the testing of third party DE replacements are complete and a track record of reliability has been established, I will reconsider. That will be at least six months down the road.  For now I will stick with V1 even though my hardware is 64bit capable.

    My recommendation is to stick with V1 for now.  Once a proven and reliable track record has been established for Vail, then update.


    _______________

    BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    _______________
    <jbcon2> wrote in message news:b2429509-3cec-482b-b9ac-32f2f519638e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

    Have had WHS V1 for about 4 years now. I've been experiencing failed HDD of late and realized it was faulty SATA connectors on my motherboard. I have a new MB and CPU on order (old combo no longer available and was out of warranty) and was planning on doing a clean install of the old WHS v1, add some additional storage and do a good spring cleaning.

    Now that WHS 2011 (Vail, V2) is released should I just go a head and upgrade to the newer software?

    I am running Windows 7 64-bit on all my other machines anyway and the new hardware is 64-bit compatible, but being that WHS v2 has just been released I am uncertain where I can obtain a copy and the process of installing it? Is there an option to purchase the RC version if I download, or do I need to wait for System builder versions to become available? I am hoping to get everything up and running in the next 5 days without having to wait on software, etc and while I would prefer to have the more stable platform of the 64-bit Vail, I would like to get my server backup and running and forget about it.


    BullDawg
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:25 AM
  • Currently, I have no plans to update to Vail at this time since DE has been eliminated.  Once the testing of third party DE replacements are complete and a track record of reliability has been established, I will reconsider. That will be at least six months down the road.  For now I will stick with V1 even though my hardware is 64bit capable.

    My recommendation is to stick with V1 for now.  Once a proven and reliable track record has been established for Vail, then update.

    I'm going to go at it with a different route, BullDawg. I'm going to go ahead and install WHS 2011 on my server and test the two DE replacements with it. Hopefully, I can contribute to your "six months" reliability period. :)


    Nancy Ward
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Why thank you Nancy.  I had to repurpose my test box as a desktop last week as the previous desktop MB developed a chronic case of bubble top capacitors.  I am holding off on purchasing any new equipment as my job situation may be in jeopardy in September of this year.  So, until that clears up, the wife and I are pinching pennies.  We won't starve as I have my military retirement and I am SS eligible, but unnecessary expenses are on hold and any excess money is diverted to the emergency bank account fund!

    Let me know how that DE replacement testing comes along.  My current WHS v1 box is 64 bit capable, but as I said, without a suitable DE replacement, I'm staying with v1.


    _______________

    BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    _______________
    <Nancy Ward> wrote in message news:1c15ebd1-925e-45d0-9563-c1d2277c0f23@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

    Currently, I have no plans to update to Vail at this time since DE has been eliminated. Once the testing of third party DE replacements are complete and a track record of reliability has been established, I will reconsider. That will be at least six months down the road. For now I will stick with V1 even though my hardware is 64bit capable.

    My recommendation is to stick with V1 for now. Once a proven and reliable track record has been established for Vail, then update.

    I'm going to go at it with a different route, BullDawg. I'm going to go ahead and install WHS 2011 on my server and test the two DE replacements with it. Hopefully, I can contribute to your "six months" reliability period. :)


    Nancy Ward


    BullDawg
    Monday, April 4, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback... guess I will do a reinstall using V1 on the new MB. Then I should run into any incompatibilities with my current data. Sounds like I have a few months anyway before I have the option to ungrade anyway and I need my server back up sooner than later, so why wait....
    Monday, April 4, 2011 4:40 PM