WHS and VPN/ICS possibilities? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im looking to setup and old computer as a home server and I was also wondering if what I want to do with it is possible.  Currently my connection goes as follows:

-Telus supplied router/modem that must be used

-Linksys router that connects to a VPN

-home network 

What I have problems with is my linksys router not being able to hold a connection to my VPN for over a day.  I go away and it fails everyday on my wife who then gets mad at me because she can't fix it.  So what I have had to do is just put my local network on my ISP supplied modem/router and nothing connected to my VPN.

What I want to do is eliminate the need for the linksys router and replace it with a switch which connects to (hopefully) a WHS machine that will be connected to my VPN of choice and then ICS to the rest of my network.

If that doesn't make sense this is what I want to do:

-ISP supplied modem/router with firewall

-WHS conected to my VPN then ICS to a switch/wireless access point for the rest of my local network

If anyone can help with my situation that would be great.

Thanks!

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:18 AM

All replies

• This is unsupported, and not recommended for a variety of reasons. If you're having trouble with your current router, you're best off buying a new one.

Why are you nailing up a VPN connection, by the way? When you need a VPN connection (to your office when you're working from home, I presume) just establish it at that point, from the PC you're working on to your office.  

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:12 AM
  • The reason I want the VPN connection is because im in Canada and listen to pandora and have subs to amazon prime, hulu plus and netflix.  All of which I need it to think I'm in the US.  Its just easier having all pc's, phones, tv's, etc on the same network at home which is why I want a VPN connection for the whole network.

Why is it not recommended?  Is there a link somewhere I can read up on why it isn't?  Also you said it was unsupported but that usually doesn't mean impossible.  Do you have any links or ways I can find a work around to get it to work if I choose too?

Thanks

Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:52 PM
  • ICS (using your server as a router) is "not recommended" because it will put your server on the edge of your network, which means it will be significantly more exposed than it is today to malefactors. 

"Not supported" because you will need to install two NICs in your server to do it, and this configuration often doesn't work; you can't control which interface the Windows Home Server components will want to use for communication.

There are a number of routers which will do what you want; pretty much every major router manufacturer has at least one.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, March 17, 2013 2:20 AM