What's the difference between SharedView and Windows Meeting space? RRS feed

• Question

• Other than a cleaner UI, Sharedview looks to provide exactly the same functionality as Vista's Windows Meeting Space.   Will the two apps work together - that is can a Sharedview user send an invite to a meeting space user and collaborate?        

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:26 PM

Answers

• Windows Meeting Space is an application based on new technologies built into Vista, and therefore requires Vista.  While the Meeting Space and SharedView provide similar functionality, they do not work together because they are based on different communication technologies.  Meeting Space is designed for face to face meetings, typically in a conference room where a projector is not available.  Meeting Space also works primarily inside the firewall, and requires IT involvement (on both sides) to bridge firewalls. 

SharedView is a service that allows communication across firewalls with no IT involvement, and runs on Vista, XP SP2, and Windows 2003 Server.  It is designed for ad hoc meetings, either face to face or remote (users are in different physical locations).  SharedView also provides integration into Office applications and Windows Live Messenger.

The user experience is intentionally similar to make it easy for users to transition between the two.  Users can choose which application to use based on their environment and situation. 

Thanks

Cameron

Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:28 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the question.  I am working on a response and will reply shortly.

-Cameron

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Windows Meeting Space is an application based on new technologies built into Vista, and therefore requires Vista.  While the Meeting Space and SharedView provide similar functionality, they do not work together because they are based on different communication technologies.  Meeting Space is designed for face to face meetings, typically in a conference room where a projector is not available.  Meeting Space also works primarily inside the firewall, and requires IT involvement (on both sides) to bridge firewalls. 

SharedView is a service that allows communication across firewalls with no IT involvement, and runs on Vista, XP SP2, and Windows 2003 Server.  It is designed for ad hoc meetings, either face to face or remote (users are in different physical locations).  SharedView also provides integration into Office applications and Windows Live Messenger.

The user experience is intentionally similar to make it easy for users to transition between the two.  Users can choose which application to use based on their environment and situation. 

Thanks

Cameron

Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I got asked about how this fits in with Windows Live Meeting and Netmeeting - my response on my blog site at http://www.absoblogginlutely.net/mtblogarchive/005996.php
    Monday, May 14, 2007 2:07 AM
  • Very good explaination, cleared up my questions as I was wondering the same thing.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 3:58 AM
  • Camron's statement, "SharedView is a service that allows communication across firewalls with no IT involvement" can be misleading. I've tried to collaborate with colleagues that don't have adminstrative rights on their computers, as many corporate computers seem to be configured these days. Without Admin permissions it is not possible to install ShareView and therefore requires significant IT involvement to run around assisting customers to install ShareView. This can be an IT nightmare and Microsoft should come up with a workaround. There are other desktop sharing applications on the market that don't require admin permissions during installation so ShareView needs to address this problem.

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:28 PM