email to case workflow help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I found a lot of examples out there but they all seem a bit off or not 100% distributive.

We are working on creating a new CRM page and want to set up email to case option.

I got the queue set up and I see the emails going there.

My issue is the workflow fails.

The workflow fails saying "case is missing customer"

Ok, I understand that however I am not sure what Dynamic Value to use to get the customer to populate correctly.

So far I am unable to get this to work sending from an email that has a customer as well as one that does not.

The goal would be to have it work for both. I did see there was a way to add to the workflow to create a new customer on a new email, however the Create Case process still fails with case is missing customer.

Anyone know what the magic Value that is needed? I tried Regarding(E-mail) and that didn't work.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:10 PM

All replies

• Are you saying that if you have an if statement in your wf that checks that regarding contains data and is of type email, that you create a case and populate customer with the regarding field from the email?

I would have thought your aim would be to link the case to one of the contacts that is in the from field of the incoming email, this is different to the regarding field, which can be to pretty much anything ie regarding an appointment.

I would suggest that you may need some custom code here to step through the activity party members that the email is linked to, assuming that your system auto creates contacts for email addresses that are tracked which aren't in CRM.

A work around would be to associate to a static contact and then have an update step afterwards to update those that are regarding a contact record. Not very elegant but could work for you?

• Proposed as answer by munerz_95 Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JCrescenzo Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Hi munerz,

I followed the steps from this blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2008/02/19/e-mail-to-case-lead-using-crm-4-workflow.aspx

However for the Define Workflow Rule step

4c. Creating a case requires at least a customer and a subject to be specified. If the email is from someone who isn’t already in the system, you might want to have the workflow rule create a contact for the sender. To keep the example simple, I’ve opted to use a default contact (a contact named Test) if the sender is not recognized.

Of course it is not simple because sometimes the customer emailing the support email might not be in the system. Is there a way to have the case populate the customer name from the email address or something so the workflow does not fail with "case is missing customer"

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:35 PM