Windows Validation Have Disc No Case with Serial Number RRS feed

• Question

• Have lost Key and last time it was serviced the shop apparently used a generic key - maybe because I couldn't supply mine. They are the same shop where I bought the original boxed copy of windows. I already had purchased the computer so no sticker on the case. I can use my computer; but Microsoft has withdrawn support because of an action taken by the dealer who sold me the Microsoft software. I don't think that's fair. I am also annoyed by having my desktop continually erased and my login delayed as Microsoft tries to hassle me over their misconception. It is a horrible way to treat a customer who has paid for a legitimate copy. If I took the time to register, shouldn't someone be able to access my key and provide it to me?
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:41 PM

Answers

• Registration is an optional (marketing, rather than  technical) process, and unrelated to any Product Key - the databases are on different servers and not connected at all.

The only record of your Key is either the COA sticker (from the machine, or an OEM System Builder pack), or the Proof of License label inside a Retail package.

Microsoft (so far as I know) do not 'withdraw support' for such reasons as you appear to have been given.

What version and edition of Windows is installed? What did you actually purchase?

It sounds to me as if Windows 7 is installed - in which case, I'll move the thread to the more appropriate forum if confirmed.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:09 PM