Live One Back up problems RRS feed

• Question

• My Live one care didn't work, with my Vista system, when I purchased it a year ago, however working with Microsoft they got it to working excellent, no problems at all until the new Ver. 2 update. I haven't had most of the problems the others are having .

My problem is when I back up. Before the update it took about 2 min. to back up now it takes about 2 hours and 1 and 1/2 DVD's. I checked the report on the back up and it appears that live one is backing up the whole program system. There are application files, there rows and rows of numbers, roaming files, that to me are unidentifiable. Another problem is I do not get to select the files I want to back up. When I go to back up and start it, it starts backing up everything. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:06 PM

Answers

• When OneCare upgraded to 2.0, you needed to review the backup plan. The default is all file types. So, open OneCare, click on change settings, click on the backup tab and in the lower left, click change settings.

Click on the name of your PC on the left to review and change the plan for your PC.

Here is the Help Text on backup from Instant Help - note that in addition to defining the file types you want to back up, you can exclude folders from being searched for files to backup:

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.

Here's the text regarding the file types that you can select :

Backup file types

The types of files that Windows Live OneCare version 2.0 can back up has changed since version 1.6. OneCare won't back up any files that are located in the Windows folder or the Program Files folder. In addition, version 2.0 can no longer back up the following file types:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DB
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • LNK
    • OST
    • QQQ
    • SYS
    • TMP

OneCare can back up the following file types:

Outlook and Outlook Express files

Financial files

Music files

Photos

Document files

Other files

Movie files

Internet Explorer favorites

Recorded TV programs

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:20 AM

All replies

• When OneCare upgraded to 2.0, you needed to review the backup plan. The default is all file types. So, open OneCare, click on change settings, click on the backup tab and in the lower left, click change settings.

Click on the name of your PC on the left to review and change the plan for your PC.

Here is the Help Text on backup from Instant Help - note that in addition to defining the file types you want to back up, you can exclude folders from being searched for files to backup:

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. Do one of the following:
       Create a back up plan for a single computer
       Create a back up plan for your OneCare circle
    5. Do one or more of the following:
       Select a location to back up your files to
       Select a backup schedule
       Select the files or folders that you want to include or exclude from your backup
    6. Click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.

Here's the text regarding the file types that you can select :

Backup file types

The types of files that Windows Live OneCare version 2.0 can back up has changed since version 1.6. OneCare won't back up any files that are located in the Windows folder or the Program Files folder. In addition, version 2.0 can no longer back up the following file types:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DB
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • LNK
    • OST
    • QQQ
    • SYS
    • TMP

OneCare can back up the following file types:

Outlook and Outlook Express files

Financial files

Music files

Photos

Document files

Other files

Movie files

Internet Explorer favorites

Recorded TV programs

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:20 AM
  • All of the Live One Care was working fine until today. I was notified by the program that my system couldn't start the back up service. I went to the configure back up and it will not let me change anything. Everything is greyed out and I am unable to select anything on the One Care main page either. The external drive I am using is only recoginized sometimes which is another problem. Any help from anyone would be great. I do not know where to turn next. This feature was one of the reasons I chose One Care. Help.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  OneIrish wrote:
    All of the Live One Care was working fine until today. I was notified by the program that my system couldn't start the back up service. I went to the configure back up and it will not let me change anything. Everything is greyed out and I am unable to select anything on the One Care main page either. The external drive I am using is only recoginized sometimes which is another problem. Any help from anyone would be great. I do not know where to turn next. This feature was one of the reasons I chose One Care. Help.

Are you logged on as an administrative user to the PC or a limited user? You must have admin rights to change settings.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I'm having trouble backing up files to my external hard drive that I just purchased.  Even though I changed the back up settings, Windows One Care keeps wanting to back up my files using the DVD/CD format.  Why won't it accept the change in settings? 

Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:13 AM
  •  JGP2008 wrote:
    I'm having trouble backing up files to my external hard drive that I just purchased.  Even though I changed the back up settings, Windows One Care keeps wanting to back up my files using the DVD/CD format.  Why won't it accept the change in settings? 

Try the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If that doesn't solve it for you, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, July 14, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Greetings,

I seldom give "in the wild" problems a thought while I have One Care here at home.  I know the importance of regular backups and One care is great to remind me.  Since there are certain file types that One Care will no longer backup, what would you recommend to make sure the Recovery (if needed) goes smoothly?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:15 PM
  •  jensocan wrote:

Greetings,

I seldom give "in the wild" problems a thought while I have One Care here at home.  I know the importance of regular backups and One care is great to remind me.  Since there are certain file types that One Care will no longer backup, what would you recommend to make sure the Recovery (if needed) goes smoothly?

That's a hard question to answer without knowing what files you want backed up that OneCare does not back up. If you are looking to do a complete restore from "bare metal" to last backed up state, you'd probably want to look at an image backup program such as Acronis True Image. Full image backup is also an option of Vista backup in the Business and Ultimate editions. If you are using a full image backup solution, then your data backup in OneCare is a fall-back or a means of bring data files up to date, assuming the frequency of OneCare backup is more often than you update your image backup.

Another solution would be Windows Home Server, which does a nifty job of full image backup for up to 10 PCs in a household and bare metal restore using a recovery disc to boot the PC and find the WHS box on your network to restore from. HP makes a nice WHS box and the pricing has recently dropped on both of their offerings. The 500 gig model goes for under $500 US and the 1T model goes for about $700 these days. If you choose to go with WHS, you can disable the OneCare backup completely.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Thanks for the quick answer.  It seems as if what file types One Care can backup depends on the operating system that is being used.  For example: if you use WindowsXP Home, then the file system used would be different then NTFS on Vista Ultimate. You can use this edition of Vista to backup any type of file, anywhere, on just about anything.  You can also search the backups and find a single file or do a complete Restore of all your programs and fun stuff.

The Windows Home Server is a great idea if you have lots of digital devices and toys. I just worry about tripping over all those wires to connect everything.  Do you know if there will be a wireless Home Server?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:22 PM
  • No, the file types backed up by OneCare have no relationship to the Operating System. OneCare only backs up data files:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/943776/en-us

Vista backup in the Home editions also does not back up programs and systems, that's only available in the Ultimate and Business editions via the complete PC backup option.

Restore in Windows Backup and OneCare backup (except the complete PC option in Vista mentioned above) all allow selective restore of backed up files.

Windows Home Server requires a LAN connection to your router to be via a wire for efficiency, reliability and performance. Your computers can be connected wirelessly. I don't know if this will change as wireless technology improves, but that's the current recommended connection method.

WHS isn't for backing up anything other than PCs.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:07 PM