Project Server 2010 Timesheet behaviour is very illogical RRS feed

• Question

• Question #1 :If user submit tasks if the project manager rejected some day task or if the tasks will be pending at the manager site. the entered hours must be in different colours . then the user can understand which tasks are approved . it must be in black color . which tasks are rejected and are pending for approval must be in red color.

How it can be  possible.

Our timesheet periods are 30 periods for one month. if the project manager rejected the tasks of 1st december . and we move forward without re-submit.

Question #2 : But in status is still showing rejected. although we are in next day period . and that is wrong due to one period task rejected all 30 periods are still showing rejected. how we can identify which day period task was rejected.

• Edited by John.Eddie Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:53 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:52 PM

Answers

• John.Eddie,

One very important thing is: Timesheets and Task Status are two different things. Back in 2003 PS had something called "Administrative Projects" to register work that do not belonged to any project (operations if you will). They got substituted with timesheets but the intention is the same: to be able to register all resource's work.

Since everyone got confused on when to use timesheets and when to use task status, there's a way to tell PWA to use timesheets as a single entry point and enter there project and non-Project work.

Why is this important? Because your Project manager rejects a "task update" not a "timesheet update".

Also, the webpart that shows timesheet data cannot handle color-code data. If you need that, you can build your own timesheet webpart to behave the way you need.

Hope this clarifies a bit the issue.

Best regards

Rene Alvarez

• Marked as answer by John.Eddie Monday, January 14, 2013 1:01 PM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hello John.Eddie

Look at the time period in the timesheet.  There may be approvals waiting prior to this period.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:10 PM
  • yes i know

This snapshot is only for example.

you dont understand the problem .

This awaiting approval is only for one day of any task.

but if move to next day time period . then there is also showing this status is

Awaiting Approval

Rejected

In Progress

If I submit the hours in 1st December . and manager is Rejected the 1st December time period. and status is Rejected. and I dont want to resubmit the 1st december time period . hours must be shown in Red color because these hours in 1st December is rejected. and when I move to 2nd December time period . the status must be disappear. Because that status belong with 1st December not with 2nd December.

Friday, January 4, 2013 7:56 PM
  • John.Eddie,

One very important thing is: Timesheets and Task Status are two different things. Back in 2003 PS had something called "Administrative Projects" to register work that do not belonged to any project (operations if you will). They got substituted with timesheets but the intention is the same: to be able to register all resource's work.

Since everyone got confused on when to use timesheets and when to use task status, there's a way to tell PWA to use timesheets as a single entry point and enter there project and non-Project work.

Why is this important? Because your Project manager rejects a "task update" not a "timesheet update".

Also, the webpart that shows timesheet data cannot handle color-code data. If you need that, you can build your own timesheet webpart to behave the way you need.

Hope this clarifies a bit the issue.

Best regards

Rene Alvarez

• Marked as answer by John.Eddie Monday, January 14, 2013 1:01 PM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:49 AM