Problems backing up all the drives, especially the external USB drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched and not found any discussion of an issue like this one, but there has to be others with similar situations.

I have an office with seven Windows based machines networked together. In any given day, someone may plug one or more USB drives into any given computer. They may also unplug one or more USB drives from any given computer or they might move one or more USB drives from one computer to another. This is necessary because each drive has project information on it that different people need on a very temporary basis. Also, contractors come and go throught the day with data that is transported on the external USB drives.

There are also removable drives that are more permanent than the USB drives, but less permanent than a regular internal drive. These are changed out much less frequently, but on occation.

WHS does not back up the USB drive (or the removable drive) unless someone goes into the backup configuration and adds that drive. WHS also says the computer was not backed up if someone fails to go into the backup configuration when a drive is removed. Since it would be impractical to keep a log of adding and removing drives, someone has to go into the backup configuration of each machine at the end of each day. As it stands, the backup configuration is not done every day, resulting in a lot of drives never being backed up and "heath critical" error messages almost every day. The messages are ignored because they are there so often. Obviously, this means the protection of backups is not good.

Is there a better way? There isn't anyone who can be assigned that duty since no one in the office has a fixed schedule so this has to be automatic.

Does the 2011 version of WHS handle this issue better? Is there an add-in that does this? Is there a better product than WHS for this situation?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• Have you considered organizing your project files on your server, instead of moving them around via sneakernet? That way whoever might need access would have a central location to go to and you'd minimize or even eliminate the use of external storage. You'd even have the option of accessing the files from afar, using the Remote Access web site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi, Ken.

Yes, I have asked the people who use the computers to do something like that. They keep saying that sounds good, but never do it. I have no control over them so there is nothing that I can do. The person in charge is one who is using the external drives and won't stop.

Unfortunately, the owner keeps saying that WHS is not working properly and will not force the people to stop using the external drives.

Thank you, though.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:53 AM