Sony Vaio,Windows XP,computer died. Possibility of using the Vaio/W,XP on W7,pro new computer. (Don't really like W7]. RRS feed

• Question

• Vaio desktop suffered a major failure,so the repairer said, so I bought a new "novatech" computer running Windows7 prof. Can I some how use the Vaio DVD Recovery Disk, [WXP Home Premium] to "emulate" or whatever,Windows XP on the W7 computer or do I need to buy a Windows XP disk.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 7:58 PM

Answers

• You cannot use the Vaio recovery disc on a different computer.  Since you state that you have Windows 7 Professional, then download and install the FREE Windows XP Mode.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

• You cannot use the Vaio recovery disc on a different computer.  Since you state that you have Windows 7 Professional, then download and install the FREE Windows XP Mode.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Thanks Carey,

Looks like the answer to a amateurs prayer. Will try your suggestion though I hope the "download & installation" comes with some sort of guidance.

If it works OK and gives me XP capabilities again is it likely that I will be able to retrieve some of the old info/programs that I used to be able to run on the old VAIO computer since the repair man gave me back the old Hard Drive suggesting that I might want to destroy it personally . However I bought a unit from "Amazon" to accept the hard drive and it now functions OK as a 'backup' drive. It still has some XP/Sony info. on it. Would this XP info. be useful or should I just wipe ALL the old stuff away? I found "Outlook Express" a much easier email system than all the more modern applications, [and adverts free].

Thanks again, will try your suggestion now!

Walter Macqueen.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:45 PM