WHS Restore CD can NOT find the homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• Toshiba laptop, fresh vista ultimate install. Upon clean install I can use the network, use the server (console) and internet.

I want to restore a previous backup. In the past I have NEVER been able to get past this point and just usually end up restoring files from a backup. I of course did not buy the server for that purpose.

I have tried several variations:

Restore cd on laptop and everything in normal mode.

crossover cable straight to the back of server.

through router w/o internet connected. I have also downloaded all the drivers from the most recent backup on the server.

I put them on a thumbdrive and when the restore cd loads it shows one network device which is my Realtek 8101 pcie fe (built in to the toshiba). I tried scanning and it tells me no drivers were found. I have the entire folder on the thumb and even copied out the interior folders and put them inside of the thumb. No dice. I'm at fours days of constantly working on this.

I usually use only static ip/ no dhcp on my router (linksys/cisco wrt310n), but I have read over the past four days that I should enable dhcp. I have it setup that way now and still no dice. It may be relevant, but hasnt affected me in the past that I use the dd-wrt.com firmware on the router. I have had this problem with other routers as well. I am always connected with an ethernet cable when I try to restore. I'm using the latest restore cd (d/l today from microsoft). On the server the software version is 2.5.15.35297

I do still have the server set with a static ip. Should I change this? I'd have to RDC in and dont want to unless absolutely necessary. Please advise.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:32 PM

Answers

• The restore CD will always use DHCP. In the situation where you use a direct connection from your server to your client, with no router, you will need to configure your server to use DHCP. When it fails to find a DHCP server, it will assign itself an address using Automatic Private IP Addressing, which your client will also do. These addresses are guaranteed to be on the same subnet.

Best practice is to use DHCP reservations, if your router supports them. You get the benefit of unchanging IP addresses, and the additional benefit of central control/distribution of IP addresses.

You should also read and follow the FAQ brubber linked.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by cat daddy Friday, October 15, 2010 4:37 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:28 PM
  •  Proceeded through the same steps of selecting backup. Auto restore hangs every time so I did it manually and used Disk Mgmt to do only the system volume 1500mb and realize that my partitions were not configured identically to what the backups are. Should this matter? Apparently it did because I had to run back through the entire sequence again, drivers and all. I thought the restore process would format them to the way the backup was.

Yes, this matters. Backup size should in general be identical or smaller the size of the partition you want to restore to, and no backup restore does not automatically create/format partitions for restore.

UTP is the general name, Cat5 is just classification. With normal UTP I mean straight UTP as opposed to crossed pair UTP cable.

I'm also not IT Pro.

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:24 AM
  • I wonder why so many posts mention the use of a crossover cable? Anyhoo, it took a couple more tries. Finally, after several botched attempts, I got it all back. I would not call it plug and play, but I am glad it is all back and I did not have to reinstall any programs. Windows was asking for activation though. Did that and everything is smooth in under five days! Awesome. Thanks for all the help.

For anyone who may happen here later and have similar issues: Go straight to REALTEK to get your driver. Do not waste time on any repackaged manufacturer drivers. Several times the RestoreCD told me no drivers were found. Just keep retrying the SCAN and eventually it finds them. It never found the reman ones. This will get you connected to the server. Then , my recommendation is to NOT partition the hard drive and just let the entire drive be reallocated. I guess you do partition, but just one large one as opposed to two or more smaller ones. Each time, I let Windows do it for me and they were never the same size twice. Always very close but within a few mb each time. This is crucial! In the end, my router was connected to four other pcs and to the internet and had no issues with the restore, no DNS issues!

Regards.

Friday, October 15, 2010 4:36 PM

All replies

• Please read the FAQ post How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore for detailed instructions. Also please note you need 32 bit (best use XP or Server 2003) drivers, download from Realtek website. If you have DHCP on your router best thing would be to also enable DHCP on your server, otherwise make sure that both on server and DHCP server DNS server address and gateway address both point to your router.

Direct connection will probably also work with normal UTP cable, unless you have very old NIC.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:50 AM
  • The restore CD will always use DHCP. In the situation where you use a direct connection from your server to your client, with no router, you will need to configure your server to use DHCP. When it fails to find a DHCP server, it will assign itself an address using Automatic Private IP Addressing, which your client will also do. These addresses are guaranteed to be on the same subnet.

Best practice is to use DHCP reservations, if your router supports them. You get the benefit of unchanging IP addresses, and the additional benefit of central control/distribution of IP addresses.

You should also read and follow the FAQ brubber linked.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Thanks Brubber and Ken Warren.

Update: I had previously read the above link on Bare Metal Restore. I did that. I have the drivers on a thumbdrive. Here's where I am now. I was able to update the driver, proceeded with an auto backup and then immediately get a 'network error, check to make sure home server is powered on and network is active'. Clearly I just looked at and selected the particular backup that I wanted to install. How could my server not be on or my network not be active? Eventually, I rebooted and came back to the same spot where I had installed drivers 5 minutes earlier. The driver appeared to have not been updated (still showing the Realtek 8101) so I tried to update by scanning. NO drivers found! Therefore, it would not proceed. A few more reboots and eventually it found my driver again. Proceeded through the same steps of selecting backup. Auto restore hangs every time so I did it manually and used Disk Mgmt to do only the system volume 1500mb and realize that my partitions were not configured identically to what the backups are. Should this matter? Apparently it did because I had to run back through the entire sequence again, drivers and all. I thought the restore process would format them to the way the backup was.

I have shrunk the system partition to get one more mb (yes, 1 mb) for the data partition and as I type I have one restore running. I will have to do another and then report back. If you know any of the answers to the above questions, please let me know. Also, crossover cable does not work. UTP? Is that a regular Cat5 cable or something different. Remember, WHS is for a home user not a network pro. I am not a network pro, I just google alot!

Thanks guys. 

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:10 PM
  •  Proceeded through the same steps of selecting backup. Auto restore hangs every time so I did it manually and used Disk Mgmt to do only the system volume 1500mb and realize that my partitions were not configured identically to what the backups are. Should this matter? Apparently it did because I had to run back through the entire sequence again, drivers and all. I thought the restore process would format them to the way the backup was.

Yes, this matters. Backup size should in general be identical or smaller the size of the partition you want to restore to, and no backup restore does not automatically create/format partitions for restore.

UTP is the general name, Cat5 is just classification. With normal UTP I mean straight UTP as opposed to crossed pair UTP cable.

I'm also not IT Pro.

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:24 AM
  • I wonder why so many posts mention the use of a crossover cable? Anyhoo, it took a couple more tries. Finally, after several botched attempts, I got it all back. I would not call it plug and play, but I am glad it is all back and I did not have to reinstall any programs. Windows was asking for activation though. Did that and everything is smooth in under five days! Awesome. Thanks for all the help.

For anyone who may happen here later and have similar issues: Go straight to REALTEK to get your driver. Do not waste time on any repackaged manufacturer drivers. Several times the RestoreCD told me no drivers were found. Just keep retrying the SCAN and eventually it finds them. It never found the reman ones. This will get you connected to the server. Then , my recommendation is to NOT partition the hard drive and just let the entire drive be reallocated. I guess you do partition, but just one large one as opposed to two or more smaller ones. Each time, I let Windows do it for me and they were never the same size twice. Always very close but within a few mb each time. This is crucial! In the end, my router was connected to four other pcs and to the internet and had no issues with the restore, no DNS issues!

Regards.

Friday, October 15, 2010 4:36 PM

• For anyone who may happen here later and have similar issues: Go straight to REALTEK to get your driver. Do not waste time on any repackaged manufacturer drivers.
    I'll note that this is what the FAQ brubber linked tells you to do...

Friday, October 15, 2010 5:39 PM

• For anyone who may happen here later and have similar issues: Go straight to REALTEK to get your driver. Do not waste time on any repackaged manufacturer drivers.
    I'll note that this is what the FAQ brubber linked tells you to do...

It certainly does.
    The reason I mention that is due to the fact that many people will do that (as in the article that Brubber linked to in which I had read before I posted here- for obvious reasons) and that alone wont appear to resolve their conflict with the restoreCD and the driver scan. Something is still wrong with the application as it scans and immediately tells you that "No drivers were found." even though you just put them there. When it tells you the drivers are missing, you (or at least I) will assume they were not the correct driver and I continued to try others. The fault is in the SCAN mechanism. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. From the article below:

The solution is to download the drivers from the Realtek site and install them during Bare Metal Restore using a USB key outlined in the process below.

<skipped a few steps here...>

iv.            Push “Scan” button to scan for new/updated drives

v.            A dialogue box will pop up:

"Drivers were found for your hardware.

Click OK to see all detected hardware."

vi.            Select OK

What is missing here is under 'v.' above. Many will never see this due to the SCAN issue I reported. It took me several attempts, 15-20 before it ever worked. Once it worked, upon a reboot the drivers were gone from the system and I was right back to 'v' step again another 5-10 times. Clicking SCAN would only get me to "No Drivers Found."

Sorry about the formatting.

• Edited by cat daddy Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:52 PM speeling correction
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:50 PM