can I transfer my harddrive with my WHS installation to a different PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I know this may have been discussed and I searched for it, but couldn't really find the answers I was looking for.

I currently have my WHS setup in a machine that I recently build (AMD dual core, 4Gb ram, 1TB, etc.). I have played around with VM for a virtual MCPC, but haven't been satisfied with the performance of my current set up (or the lack of knowledge to set it up properly)

Now I have an older PC (P4 2.8Ghz, 2Gb ram, 2x 40Gb hard drives) that I have been using as my HTPC, but also here the performance is borderline.

Now I am wondering, can I take my SATA 1TB out of my WHS and plug it into my old P4 and run it off of a PCI sata card as the boot drive, since the original Mobo does not have sata ports?
    The performance of this PC should be fine for the WHS and then I can use my dual core PC as the HTPC.

Has anybody ever done this? and comments or suggestions to make this a successful transplant? I would just re-install WHS onto the ATA drives, but they are 40GB each and I believe that is too small for WHS + I would like to keep my current installation because I have a bunch of data on there and tweaked the WHS set up so that it is working well for me.

Let me know, what you guys think.
    I was able to fix so many issue by just reading existing threads!!! Thanks a lot!!
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:30 AM

All replies

• Correct - 40 Gb is too small. However, installing on a separate SATA controller is not advised because the ATA drives will always appear to load first. That would stop any attempt for "server reinstallation" ... unless you want to limit yourself to SATA only. Also you may need to keep a floppy handy to load the SATA drivers.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:35 AM
  • to run the SATA HDD only that would be fine, because in relationship to my 1TB SATA (will add another one or two eventually) the 40GB ones are peanuts...

So did I understand it correctly that I could boot from a SATA drive connected via PCI card as long as the SATA card drivers are supplied by floppy?
    Or could I use one of the 40GB ATA HDDs to provide the SATA card driver information and the info (some kind of script?) that I want to start off the SATA drive? (I won't be using that drive elsewhere anyway)

does this make sense, if this sounds stupid, don't hesitate to let me know ;-)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Yes, you have to supply the SATA drivers with a floppy
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:09 AM