Cannot view backups - Event 57 RRS feed

• Question

• I have two systems which I will call PC1 and PC2. Both systems are dual boot with XP Pro SP2 and Vista RC. PC1 is hardwired at 100Mb and PC2 is wireless. Whenever I try to view backups on PC1 (XP), the 'Open Backup' gets to 79%, hangs a few seconds and then reports 'Cannot connect to the backup service on the server.Verify that all services are running..'. At that point the PC1 System event log shows a 'Warning BackupReader Event 57' and the description just indicates that it can not display the message. On the server side everything shows successful. This problem only occurs on PC1 while running XP. All other configurations work which indicates to me that the correct services are in fact running on the server. I have lots of apps installed on PC1 (XP) so rather then uninstall one by one I decided to start PC1 (XP) in 'safe mode with networking' and then run the WHS Console. (I know this works because I have done it several times on PC2 (XP).) I end up getting the same exact error. Unless I am mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) this pretty much only runs the OS core components and the nic card driver. (No antivirus, firewall, etc.) So at this point I am baffled as to what is actually causing the failure. I did run talq on the client (CAB 356489096) and the server, but could not get the server to send the report. (Still have to look into that one.) Sorry I was unable to report this when RC1 was released but I was under contract the day after and quite busy. Anyone have any solutions/ideas???

Robert See
    (Not a joke...I was born with it!)

Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:07 PM

All replies

• Could you give us the CAB Talq number for the Windows Home Server?
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:41 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Could you give us the CAB Talq number for the Windows Home Server?

Joel,

Yesterday when I first ran talq on the server it just said 'Failed to send Watson report' but no CAB number.  Today I just tried again and this time it appears to have successfully sent it but still did not provide the usual CAB number??? I did attach my 'LRanger' handle to it so I don't know if that will help or not. Please let me know if you want me to manually send the zip file and to where.

Thanks,

Robert See

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Robert,

Can you please send the file to me (a-tozieg at microsoft dot com)

Thanks!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:41 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann (MS) wrote:

Robert,

Can you please send the file to me (a-tozieg at microsoft dot com)

Thanks!

Tom,

I just sent it.  Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Robert See

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Joel / Tom,

When do you actually use the 'Mark as Answer' button?  Do I wait until someone actually gives me an answer/solution to the problem/question and should it be selected for anyone that replies to the thread whether it is the correct answer or just another question?

Thanks,

Robert See

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:39 PM