4TB usb drive RRS feed

• Question

• Ran out of room on my 2TB USB backup drive did the silly thing and got me a fancy new 4TB Seagate USB drive.  Now I am getting the following error.  Now I did search first and saw some post similar to this saying the WHS2011 did not support 4TB drives.  It shows the drive and it shows the amount of space correctly so I was wonder if they ever fixed the 4TB limit or is that my problem?  Thanks

the scheduled backup did not finish successfully and return the following error code 2155348010

Note:  After removing the drive from the backup it does seem to have writing some data to the drive.  It show the WindowsImageBackup and stuff under it for about 53MB.

John J. Hughes II

Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:34 PM

Answers

• Yes, no upgrade path - it's start again although you can probably integrate data drives

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• Using WHS tools you can't back up more than 2TB due to the use of the . vhd container

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Guess that means they never updated it :(

Any idea of the new version of the server supports 4TB?

Can I use network storage to do a WHS backup?

Another suggestion on how to backup, was looking at Acronis but their server backup product is way to much money...

John J. Hughes II

Saturday, April 6, 2013 11:09 PM
  • I believe Windows Server 2012 Essentials uses .vhdx format which does not have a 2TB limit - if you can afford $400!

Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Thanks...

More a matter of if I can afford not too :(

My bigger concern is the upgrade, my impression is MS has made it as hard as possible so it basically turns into a format and start over.

John J. Hughes II

Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Yes, no upgrade path - it's start again although you can probably integrate data drives

Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:50 PM