Genuine Advantage Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Why does GAN have to waste my computer rescources and my bandwidth continually checking if my copy of Windows XP is still genuine??
    Why can't it do it just the once??
    Greg
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:07 PM

Answers

• Greg

Thank you for posting in our WGA Forums today. Curious have you checked the Task Manager then opened the Processes file tab. Please do this and look @ the various process which are running. Once you have done this please use your favorite search engine and search on this process. WGA is an activeX file and should not be overtasking your processor or computer resources.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:25 PM

All replies

• Greg

Thank you for posting in our WGA Forums today. Curious have you checked the Task Manager then opened the Processes file tab. Please do this and look @ the various process which are running. Once you have done this please use your favorite search engine and search on this process. WGA is an activeX file and should not be overtasking your processor or computer resources.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, no it's not the taxing of the resources that's my issue it's the re-checking something that has already been checked before, and needlessly rechecking over and over again.

Greg

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Greg,

Let me direct you to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine . Please take a look @ the FAQs and maybe this will explain the program in depth. WGA is here to protect you as our valued customer. Here is one example. Say if you take your system in for repairs and major changes were made such as complete reinstallation of the OS and major hardware changes. After revalidating your OS you come up non-genuine. This does happen quite often. Revalidating allows you as the customer to make sure you are still genuine vs. runing non-genuine Office and/or XP. Non-genuine versions of XP or Office may contain rootkits, password stealing programs and no telling what else.

Take care Greg,

Stephen
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:23 AM