none
Can't remove unhealthy drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an external USB 750GB Maxtor drive, added to the pool.  WHS console tells me the drive is unhealthy.  Windows Disk Management says the drive is healthy.  When I try to repair it inside WHS console, it is unsuccessful with no actual error message, but the drive is still "unhealthy".  I tried to remove it from the pool, thinking I'd run a CHKDSK on it or reformat it, but it can't be removed from the pool and gives the error message, "Files Not Moved", and "The wizard did not finish moving files to other server storage".

Sooo, I'm stuck with an unhealthy drive that can't be fixed and can't be removed.

Anybody have any ideas, because I'm out, other than just disconnecting it, since it is an external drive.

Thanks!

Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:55 AM

Answers

• Glen,

In general, there is no reason that USB drives shouldn't be used. However, you will need to ensure that there are no power saving settings in operation either for the drive itself, (if it has them,) or for the USB hub.

There is a KB Article, that might shed some light on your problem. (WHS is based on Server 2003, as you probably know).

A particular problem appears to arise when some of the 'pre-packaged' external drives have their own software included, this seems to cause clashes. I was thinking of ones like the WD MyBooks and Passports.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:27 PM

All replies

• Shut down WHS, disconnect the drive, and start back up. You should be able to remove the drive (which will now be reported as "failed") and WHS should recreate any duplicate files that were on it. You may want to connect the drive to another PC to copy all the files in the DE hidden folder off the drive, if you have any shares for which duplication is not enabled.

If you remove the drive in this fashion, you may begin to experience backup database errors, because any components of the backup database that were stored on this drive are now missing. If you do, you can install the WHS toolkit and reset your backup database.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 4:36 AM
  • Thanks.  The drive is brand new, only been online for a few hours.  Is this particular drive, or USB drives in general not compatible with use on a server?

Thanks again!

Glen

Sunday, December 16, 2007 5:19 AM
  • Glen,

In general, there is no reason that USB drives shouldn't be used. However, you will need to ensure that there are no power saving settings in operation either for the drive itself, (if it has them,) or for the USB hub.

There is a KB Article, that might shed some light on your problem. (WHS is based on Server 2003, as you probably know).

A particular problem appears to arise when some of the 'pre-packaged' external drives have their own software included, this seems to cause clashes. I was thinking of ones like the WD MyBooks and Passports.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Yes, it is a pre-packaged drive from Maxtor.  Got it at the CompUSA clearance sale.  However, I didn't install the software that came with as it wouldn't install on Server 2003.  It does seem to have some default power-saving mode.  My other thought was to just take the drive out and put it in a vanilla external USB box.

Thanks,

Glen

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Update:

I physically disconnected the drive, took it to another machine, and used the software that came with it to turn off the power saving features.  Re-connected it to the server, formatted it, and it's been running clean for about 12 hours, which is significantly longer than it did before.  Looks like the default power-saving mode was the problem.

Thanks to all who suggested this issue.

Glen

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:29 AM