Depend On OneCare For Backup & Restore RRS feed

• Question

• In addition to depending on OneCare for virus protection I use the backup feature to keep my business files copied and stored for business interruption protection.  With OneCare being discontinued will the new security application offer backup/restore?  If not what would be the best choice for a whole system backup/restore application?

Thank You

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:40 AM

Answers

• No, the replacement for OneCare, Microsoft Security Essentials, does not include backup.

Depending on your operating system you may be fine with Windows backup.

if you are dealing with multiple PCs for a small business, you need something more robust. You may want to look into Windows Home Server as a solution. For more simple needs there are many 3rd party backup programs available. I'm not in a position to recommend any above any others, though.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:54 PM

All replies

• No, the replacement for OneCare, Microsoft Security Essentials, does not include backup.

Depending on your operating system you may be fine with Windows backup.

if you are dealing with multiple PCs for a small business, you need something more robust. You may want to look into Windows Home Server as a solution. For more simple needs there are many 3rd party backup programs available. I'm not in a position to recommend any above any others, though.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to this, as our MVP told you MSE doesnt have the backup/restore feature like onecare.
    but if you still have windows live onecare backup on your external drive or CD/DVD and you want to restore them you can use the restore tool of onecare or use thirparty application (winRAR) to unzipped the files.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:59 AM