How do I switch domains for remote access? RRS feed

• Question

•   When I bought my HP EX470, I signed up for the HP-recommended TZO DDNS service. I'm now sorry I did so, having discovered that a signed certificate is not available from TZO. And TZO wants to be paid every year after the first.
    I'm told that if I sign up for the Windows Live Custom Domain service, not only is it free but I will get a signed certificate.
    My problem is that I can't figure out how to switch from TZO to Windows Live. Do I start by "Unconfiguring" the Domain Name in the WHS Console Remote Access Settings? Will that lead me down a path wherein I can choose Windows Live? I'm afraid to unconfigure TZO without knowing what comes next. Don't want to lose remote access altogether.
    Or do I need to start somewhere else?
    And is there any downside to making the switch from TZO?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Sorry, yes you'r correct (duh).
    Just checked through an HP unit. You will need to 'Unconfigure' your existing connection, then go through the setup again, if you want to use the M/S service.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Friday, September 5, 2008 7:33 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Just use the 'Change'  (middle) key on the Remote Access page of Settings. This will then step you through the requirements. You will need your Windows Live ID to access the .homeserver.com service.
    Note that it may refuse your name selection as there is a 'banned name' list, I've never seen what's on it, but obscene, profane & registered names are a few of the no-no's.

Good luck,

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Colin Hodgson said:

Hi,
    Just use the 'Change'  (middle) key on the Remote Access page of Settings. This will then step you through the requirements. You will need your Windows Live ID to access the .homeserver.com service.
    Note that it may refuse your name selection as there is a 'banned name' list, I've never seen what's on it, but obscene, profane & registered names are a few of the no-no's.

Good luck,

Colin

When I click on Change I get the TZO Setup routine. No option to switch to another provider.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Hi,
    Sorry, yes you'r correct (duh).
    Just checked through an HP unit. You will need to 'Unconfigure' your existing connection, then go through the setup again, if you want to use the M/S service.

Colin
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Friday, September 5, 2008 7:33 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2008 5:05 PM