Interest in Replacement Online Services Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'd like to use this thread to examine the feasability/support for a replacement online price update service.

With changes to our hosts file, we could theretically point MS money to a new server providing basic stock quotes, if not everything available today.

I'm aware of all the OFX script initiatives, however I maintain many broker accounts within a single money file, in multiple currencies and also multiple money files. The OFX downloads are not going to be time viable for me. I need something within the current client server protocol.

Would anyone else be interested in a subscription service to 'keep our online stock quotes working' and would anyone like to team up to implement this?

Monday, November 15, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• I'd happily pay for online services - but I think Microsoft will not allow this. They have quashed all other such initiatives.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Do you have details of the previous initiatives they have stopped? I know this would not be a straightforward project, given the amount of data the current service provides, but I'm not sure how MS could stop a server serving ticker info
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:35 AM
  • I don't have the details - but there have been posts on this forum from others who have approached MS and offered to write some code to allow Money to download from other financial servers - but apparently Microsoft have refused. Perhaps they will post details themselves.

I am guessing that since Microsoft have passed some details of their file structures to Inuit, part of the deal is that Microsoft will not allow users any other options for live downloads. I suppose this is their way of at least giving their US customers some options - but not much good for the rest of us outside the US where Quicken has no presence.

Like you I would happily pay a subscription for continued server support, but it seems that Microsoft are determined that it will not happen.

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:07 AM
  • One thing I hadn't thought about is the software itself also stopping the Internet working at all! And then Sunset being neutered.....

Friday, November 19, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Microsoft (MICRO - SOFT) as SOFT, they SUCK!!! BIG TIME!!! How can you created a software and ask millions+ to use and invest in it and then just take it away.. you have no idea how PISSED OFF I AM!!! Why, I have been using their software since version 1.0 and loved cause ease of use, functionality, userbility, etc.. always upgraded to their new version everytime.. and then now.. OH WE ARE SORRY BUT WE ARE GOING TO KILL MONEY!!! HUH???

I will say this, I will never again invest so much into another Microsoft Software!! NEVER!!!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Bimmer,

I was also upset with the prospect of having to find something new. But have you tried the pocketsense scripts on the sunset edition? You still have a free money mgmt solution that you can import alot of external information into using the OFX standard.

For my requirements (multicurrency ticker download). It's still the best product available. All I've really lost is a single 'last updated' field. I'm not actually sure what else they could add (I never used all the linked web stuff anyway, just the downloads).

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I would love to see Microsoft Money back.  I have used it since 1994.  In the end I'm sure I can learn to live without it, but I've gotten so used to it.  Bimmer and Ouro, I have the same feelings as you.  I was very upset at first, but what can you do?
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:48 PM